This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi recently added another method for redeeming ThankYou points earned with cards like the Citi Prestige — but you might want to think twice before using it. Members will now be able to shop with an app called “Wonder,” which allows you to purchase digital gift cards with ThankYou points. As usual with gift card redemptions, the value of your points will be fixed and typically ends up not being the best deal.
For instance, 50,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed in the app for $400, translating to about 0.8 cents per point in value — not a great offer, in fact it’s only half of the 1.6 cents per point TPG lists out in his latest valuation of Citi ThankYou points. Alternatively, you could redeem 50,000 Citi ThankYou points for at least $800 with one of Citi’s partners like American Airlines and get substantially more value than you would with a gift card.
Ultimately, it’s probably best to skip this option. As with other gift card redemptions, you can get much more value by using your Citi ThankYou points for other purposes.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.