This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi recently added another method for redeeming ThankYou points earned with cards like the Citi Prestige — but you might want to think twice before using it. Members will now be able to shop with an app called “Wonder,” which allows you to purchase digital gift cards with ThankYou points. As usual with gift card redemptions, the value of your points will be fixed and typically ends up not being the best deal.
For instance, 50,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed in the app for $400, translating to about 0.8 cents per point in value — not a great offer, in fact it’s only half of the 1.6 cents per point TPG lists out in his latest valuation of Citi ThankYou points. Alternatively, you could redeem 50,000 Citi ThankYou points for at least $800 with one of Citi’s partners like American Airlines and get substantially more value than you would with a gift card.
Ultimately, it’s probably best to skip this option. As with other gift card redemptions, you can get much more value by using your Citi ThankYou points for other purposes.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees