This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi recently added another method for redeeming ThankYou points earned with cards like the Citi Prestige — but you might want to think twice before using it. Members will now be able to shop with an app called “Wonder,” which allows you to purchase digital gift cards with ThankYou points. As usual with gift card redemptions, the value of your points will be fixed and typically ends up not being the best deal.
For instance, 50,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed in the app for $400, translating to about 0.8 cents per point in value — not a great offer, in fact it’s only half of the 1.6 cents per point TPG lists out in his latest valuation of Citi ThankYou points. Alternatively, you could redeem 50,000 Citi ThankYou points for at least $800 with one of Citi’s partners like American Airlines and get substantially more value than you would with a gift card.
Ultimately, it’s probably best to skip this option. As with other gift card redemptions, you can get much more value by using your Citi ThankYou points for other purposes.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that