This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi recently added another method for redeeming ThankYou points earned with cards like the Citi Prestige — but you might want to think twice before using it. Members will now be able to shop with an app called “Wonder,” which allows you to purchase digital gift cards with ThankYou points. As usual with gift card redemptions, the value of your points will be fixed and typically ends up not being the best deal.
For instance, 50,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed in the app for $400, translating to about 0.8 cents per point in value — not a great offer, in fact it’s only half of the 1.6 cents per point TPG lists out in his latest valuation of Citi ThankYou points. Alternatively, you could redeem 50,000 Citi ThankYou points for at least $800 with one of Citi’s partners like American Airlines and get substantially more value than you would with a gift card.
Ultimately, it’s probably best to skip this option. As with other gift card redemptions, you can get much more value by using your Citi ThankYou points for other purposes.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees