This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starwood has a lot of fantastic properties around the world, but for every gorgeous new W or industry-leading St. Regis, there’s a Sheraton that’s in desperate need of a refresh — and as of today, this appears to be a top priority for Starwood. As part of its 10-point Sheraton 2020 plan, the chain plans to revitalize the brand through a series of marketing and design improvements (10, in fact!).
Of course, there’s a lot of work that can be done long before that 2020 deadline comes around, and SPG’s already stepping in to incentivize Sheraton stays in the immediate future with its Sheraton Free Weekends promo. There are many new changes on the horizon, however. Most are related to marketing (e.g., a global advertising campaign, designating higher-end hotels as “Sheraton Grand” properties and working to boost exposure among meeting planners), but some will have a real impact on the guest experience, such as improved Sheraton Clubs and 150+ new Sheraton hotels.
See Starwood’s full Sheraton 2020 plan below:
1. Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning
– Reinvigorate Sheraton with a new vision to define and crystallize what Sheraton stands for as a brand
– Create a new visual identity for Sheraton that incorporates our current, iconic logo
– Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content
2. Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign
– Roll out a multi-channel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017
– Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history
– Ramp up media buzz and social strategy to meaningfully engage consumers across all channels
3. Launch Sheraton Grand
– Elevate 100+ premier Sheraton hotels to new Sheraton Grand tier to better match guests’ expectations, showcase Sheraton’s best properties and create a halo effect across the portfolio
– Focus first on global gateways to lure high-value travelers and create a worldwide network
– Encourage more owners to renovate properties to achieve new Sheraton Grand stature
4. Earn Owners’ Confidence in Sheraton
– Laser-focus on revenue and profit-driving initiatives and programs to boost owner value
– Balance building and conversion costs with exceptional guest experience
– Reevaluate brand standards and fee structures to improve owner economics
5. Ignite Associates’ Passion for Sheraton
– Enlist Sheraton General Managers as leaders of change on the frontlines
– Connect Sheraton’s people to new brand vision and their role in bringing it to life
6. Get Service Right at Sheraton. Every Day. Every Time. Everywhere.
– Consistent – some might say maniacal – focus on excellence in service delivery, including cleanliness, condition of rooms and responsiveness to guests
– Inspire and incent our hotels to reach new Guest Experience and Quality Assurance goals
– Tackle lowest-performing hotels, move the middle, and learn from the top
7. Reclaim Sheraton’s Status as THE Meetings Brand
– Become go-to brand for top planners and customers – take back group share
– Kick off global customer blitz; amp up booking rewards and incentives
8. Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously.
– Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences
– Invigorate Food & Beverage – more relevant, more profitable
– Unleash the potential of Sheraton Club
9. Differentiate Sheraton through Design
– Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design
– Leverage lobby design to drive revenue
10. Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020
– Through conversions, adaptive re-use and new-build projects, develop the right properties in the right markets with favorable returns for owners and their investors
– Create a flexible new-build product that enhances hotel profitability in secondary and tertiary markets
What do you think Starwood needs to do to revitalize its Sheraton brand?
H/T: View from the Wing Earn up to 25,000 Starpoints which can be used for hotel redemption around the globe, transferred to over 30 airline partners, and even transfer from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio.
Earn up to 25,000 Starpoints which can be used for hotel redemption around the globe, transferred to over 30 airline partners, and even transfer from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio.