Chase Raises MileagePlus Club Card Annual Fee to $450
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here
Two weeks ago, we reported that United was raising its United Club membership fees in the wake of a string of lounge enhancements announced earlier this year. Unsurprisingly, the annual fee for Chase’s United MileagePlus Club card, which offers a United Club membership as a perk, is going up as well — from $395 to $450.
As a reminder, here are the new United Club membership fees:
- United is increasing its annual membership for general (non-elite) members from $500 to $550.
- Starting August 18, 2015, United will also be increasing fees for Premier Silver, Gold and Platinum members.
- United is discontinuing its annual membership spouse discount of $250 per year; you’ll now have to pay an additional $550 per year (the regular membership fee) for your spouse to access a lounge when he or she isn’t flying with you.
Chase MileagePlus Club Card
The United MileagePlus Club card is currently offering 50,000 miles after $3,000 spent within the first 3 months and remains a good way to save on a lounge membership, as the card comes with a full-fledged United Club membership. Raising the annual fee puts the card in line with the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express and the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, both of which also carry a $450 annual fee. It’s also worth noting that the MileagePlus Club Card’s annual fee has been partially or completely waived in past promotions — see if you’ve been targeted to get the fee waived for the first year by logging in with your United credentials here.
Benefits offered with the MileagePlus Club card include:
- Earn 1.5 miles per $1 on any purchase, and 2 miles per $1 on United purchases
- Two free checked bags for the cardholder and a companion on the same reservation
- Premier Access travel benefits for expedited check-in, security and boarding
- No foreign transaction fees.
Additionally, the Chase MileagePlus Club card offers some benefits usually reserved for elite status members that set it apart from similar top-tier airline co-branded card offerings. For example, cardmembers can redeem a Standard Award for any seat available for sale with no capacity restrictions, and incur no close-in award ticketing fees — usually $75 for non-elite members.
Welcome to The Points Guy!