The Best Time to Buy Thanksgiving Airfare Is …
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m always asked about buying airfares and to be honest, I really don’t have a clue. Trying to make sense of airfare fluctuations and fare rules is a game I don’t have time to play.
However, the geniuses over at Kayak.com pulled together a ton of data around historical Thanksgiving airfares to show when the right time to buy might be and by the looks of it, now might be a good time to get your airfare locked in. Per the chart below, fares increase drastically in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. This wasn’t completely surprising information, but I thought I’d share it with any TPG readers who might be procrastinating and hoping for super cheap fares in November.
What I did find interesting was that fares start sky high in the summer and are basically at the same price of a last minute fare. I guess this makes sense – take advantage of the risk-adverse people who will pay top dollar to know that their busy season travel is taken care of. Personally, I don’t know why everyone freaks out so much about Thanksgiving travel – yeah, it’s a little crowded, but it’s no different than many other peak travel periods. A packed plane is still a packed plane whether it’s a day before Turkey Day or a busy spring break weekend.
In any case enjoy the data and I hope it saves a TPG procrastinator a couple bucks!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.