Delta Double Miles and Cheap Flights to Tokyo Haneda- Under $600 Total Roundtrip From Many US Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta was one of the airlines to get routes (Los Angeles and Detroit) to the Tokyo Haneda airport, but they suspended the service soon after the tsunami hit Japan. Now that things are picking up, they are reinstating the route and to incentivize travelers, they are introducing super low fares for June and July travel and instituting a double miles promotion to entice customers back on this route. Note: double miles are only from LAX/DTW-HND and do not count towards elite qualification.The promo is good until September 30, 2011 and the LAX route restarts on June 2 and Detroit on June 16.
The sub-$600 all-in, roundtrip fares only look to be available in June and July and then they double to over $1,200. I’ve never been to Tokyo and while I swore off any more coach mileage runs, this one is tempting.
I can get JFK-LAX-HND for $597 total roundtrip. I’d net 15,925 Medallion Qualifying Miles and 15,925 base miles, plus:
+ 125% Diamond bonus of 19,906
+ double LAX-HND promo bonus of 10,975
= 46,806 SkyMiles, and while I don’t want to fly coach, Delta is introducing Economy Comfort, which features 4 extra inches of legroom and up to 50% more recline and I’d get it free as a Diamond Medallion. Plus, Delta is flying their 777-LR on this route, which is ostensibly their nicest aircraft.
Well, by the time I finished this blog post, I convinced myself to go for it and book a 2 night, 3 day mini-Tokyo vacation for early June. I kept getting; “We’re sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights.” so I had to call Delta to book the dates I wanted.
If you see a trip you like, Delta allows risk-free cancellations by 11:59pm EST the day after you book a ticket so I’d recommend booking now and thinking about it later if you want to go. For more info on pricing from other cities, check out the Flyertalk thread.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees