Bid United Miles for a Trip to London and a Spider-Man Appearance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While I tend to save up my miles for business and first-class award flights, many road warriors travel so frequently for work that the last thing they want to do is step foot on another plane. Instead, they’ll redeem miles for gift cards, or experiences through programs like United’s MileagePlus Exclusives.
Some of those redemptions would appeal to those who love to travel, too, such as a recent weekend with United’s retired 747s and this latest auction, which includes a trip to London and the chance to appear as extras in the upcoming film, Spider-Man: Homecoming 2.
For the next 12 days, MileagePlus members can enter their bid to win this latest experiential package, which comes along with the following:
- Round-trip economy airfare for two to London (Economy Plus and business upgrades aren’t possible)
- Two nights at the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane
- Two nights at the Radisson Blu London Stansted Airport
- $200 Uber credit
- Opportunity to be join as an extra during the filming of Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (appearance in the final film is not guaranteed)
The winners will fly to London on Saturday, June 30 and will return on Thursday, July 5. Bidding ends at 1pm ET on June 25, and the current high bid is 181,000 miles, though I expect the final amount to be quite a bit higher.
Economy award travel from the US to London runs 60,000 miles round-trip at the saver level, plus about $190, including the UK’s awful Air Passenger Duty (APD). Considering our 1.4-cent valuation of United miles, plus the $380 in taxes, the flights alone are worth $2,060.
A two-night stay in a base room at the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane on the same dates, July 1-3, runs $910, including tax, while the Stansted Airport stay costs $325, bringing the total lodging value to $1,235. Add in the $200 Uber credit and we’re at $1,435 for the ground portion of this giveaway.
Finally, while extras are typically paid to appear in a film, they’re also usually working professionals. While I imagine some Spider-Man fans would pay a considerable amount for this opportunity, I’m going to leave it out of the calculations here.
So, in total, we’re at a total package value of $3,495, if booking everything separately. Converted back to United miles, you’re looking at 250,000 miles, again based on our 1.4-cent valuation. If you’re willing to bid more than that, you better be a pretty big Spider-Man fan!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.