This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Lufthansa first class is once again available through United.com.
Lufthansa first class is easily one of the world’s most sought after award redemptions. Availability is incredibly limited — Lufthansa itself doesn’t make first-class seats available via partner programs until roughly two weeks before departure. But as long as you’re somewhat flexible about your travel dates and/or routing, it’s often possible to score one of these coveted awards. Well, most of the time, at least.
Currently, yet another MileagePlus bug is making it very difficult to redeem United miles for Lufthansa first class. The situation isn’t quite as dire as some are reporting, but there is indeed an IT malfunction at play. I reached out to United, and a spokesperson confirmed that the airline is aware of the issue and “urgently working to resolve it.”
While many routes do indeed appear to be unavailable, some Lufthansa availability is popping up — albeit under the “Business Saver Award” category — such as this A340 flight between Munich (MUC) and Shanghai (PVG) for later this week.
I booked the flight to confirm that it was indeed available, and the reservation was correctly ticketed and confirmed in first class right away — reflected on Lufthansa’s end as well.
While this is hardly an ideal situation, United does claim to be prioritizing a fix, and select flights are indeed bookable right now. And at 110,000 miles each way, United’s first-class Star Alliance awards to Europe are priced higher than the competition. Assuming you have points to transfer and need to book Lufthansa first class right away, there are a handful of alternatives methods to consider, which may present a better award value than United can offer — even when its booking site is working as intended.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards