This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Lufthansa first class is once again available through United.com.
Lufthansa first class is easily one of the world’s most sought after award redemptions. Availability is incredibly limited — Lufthansa itself doesn’t make first-class seats available via partner programs until roughly two weeks before departure. But as long as you’re somewhat flexible about your travel dates and/or routing, it’s often possible to score one of these coveted awards. Well, most of the time, at least.
Currently, yet another MileagePlus bug is making it very difficult to redeem United miles for Lufthansa first class. The situation isn’t quite as dire as some are reporting, but there is indeed an IT malfunction at play. I reached out to United, and a spokesperson confirmed that the airline is aware of the issue and “urgently working to resolve it.”
While many routes do indeed appear to be unavailable, some Lufthansa availability is popping up — albeit under the “Business Saver Award” category — such as this A340 flight between Munich (MUC) and Shanghai (PVG) for later this week.
I booked the flight to confirm that it was indeed available, and the reservation was correctly ticketed and confirmed in first class right away — reflected on Lufthansa’s end as well.
While this is hardly an ideal situation, United does claim to be prioritizing a fix, and select flights are indeed bookable right now. And at 110,000 miles each way, United’s first-class Star Alliance awards to Europe are priced higher than the competition. Assuming you have points to transfer and need to book Lufthansa first class right away, there are a handful of alternatives methods to consider, which may present a better award value than United can offer — even when its booking site is working as intended.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees