United Now Offers Free DirecTV on 200+ Boeing 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While there’s long been an option to get it for cheap — just $4.99 per screen, regardless of the length of a flight — United remained one of the few US airline holdouts to charge for some in-flight entertainment options. As of Wednesday, however, United’s now offering more than 100 channels of live seat-back TV for free.
We’re talking specifically about the airline’s DirecTV offering, only available on some 211 Boeing 737 planes — many of the airline’s newer 737s don’t have seat-back entertainment at all. While JetBlue has always offered free DirecTV, United’s fee-based option dates back to the pre-merger Continental days.
Note that while these aircraft may be used for some international and Hawaii flights, DirecTV service is only available within the continental United States. Fortunately, passengers aren’t just limited to live programming — all aircraft with DirecTV service also offer streaming entertainment, and everything available there is free as well, matching similar offerings from Delta and AA.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.