United Now Offers Free DirecTV on 200+ Boeing 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While there’s long been an option to get it for cheap — just $4.99 per screen, regardless of the length of a flight — United remained one of the few US airline holdouts to charge for some in-flight entertainment options. As of Wednesday, however, United’s now offering more than 100 channels of live seat-back TV for free.
We’re talking specifically about the airline’s DirecTV offering, only available on some 211 Boeing 737 planes — many of the airline’s newer 737s don’t have seat-back entertainment at all. While JetBlue has always offered free DirecTV, United’s fee-based option dates back to the pre-merger Continental days.
Note that while these aircraft may be used for some international and Hawaii flights, DirecTV service is only available within the continental United States. Fortunately, passengers aren’t just limited to live programming — all aircraft with DirecTV service also offer streaming entertainment, and everything available there is free as well, matching similar offerings from Delta and AA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.