United’s ‘old’ club at Newark will get a massive makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Big news for United Airlines flyers passing through the carrier’s Northeast hub: The new, one-of-a-kind United Club is finally ready to welcome you.
Opening on May 19 at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), this new United Club outpost is a massive improvement compared to the one it replaces. It’s been years in the making, and the day can’t come soon enough for many frequent travelers.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter.
When United converted the club location near Gate C123 into a Polaris Lounge back in 2018, the airline left Terminal C with just one standard United Club located next to Gate C74. This standard space became very overcrowded, thus pushing demand for a new United Club location.
United spent the last three years building a brand-new space for flyers to enjoy, and it will finally open on Thursday.
As for the location next to Gate C74, United has even more good news for United customers: The space will receive a big makeover.
The airline will rebuild the C74 club from scratch. The renovated lounge is expected have a similar aesthetic to the new United Club. This will likely include exposed brick walls, colorful murals and modernized seating areas.
Although airline representatives confirmed the renovation plans to TPG, they didn’t share any additional details about what flyers can expect once the C74 space is rebuilt.
In terms of timeline, the C74 location will close just days after the new United Club near C123 opens. It’s anyone’s guess how long the C74 construction will take, but hopefully, the airline won’t face nearly as many delays as it did with the C123 club.
During the construction, United will continue to operate a temporary pop-up club next to Gate C93 during peak afternoon and evening departure banks. This space features a selection of packaged snacks, a limited bar and some seating (but no restrooms).
Along with the upgrades coming to Terminal C, United is expected to construct another new club in the soon-to-open Terminal A at Newark.
Other future club improvements include a new “United Club Fly” concept at Denver International Airport (DEN) which will offer flyers a selection of grab-and-go snacks and drinks. The airline is also renovating the B East club in the Mile High City.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.