Thailand brings back mandatory quarantine for travelers, but it won’t ruin Christmas for all vacationers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The new rules come after Thai authorities confirmed its first case of the omicron variant on Dec. 20.
For more TPG news delivered daily to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Previously, vacationers arriving in the Southeast Asian country simply had to take a negative test on arrival as part of the “Test and Go” waiver, a scheme introduced last month in a desperate bid to breathe life back into a tourism industry crippled by the pandemic.
But as the omicron variant continues to run rampant across the globe, the Thai government has decided to scrap the scheme just two months after its launch, instead, making anyone not already signed up for the scheme to quarantine for between seven and 10 days, from as soon as they step off their flight.
They will also have to take regular PCR tests during their stay.
However, there was good news for the 200,000 ticket holders who have already signed up for either of these schemes: they will still be eligible.
“This is not to shut off tourists but to temporarily suspend arrivals,” officials added.
“As of Dec. 22, the Thailand Pass website will be closed for all new Test and Go and Sandbox applications, except for the Phuket Sandbox,” reads the Foreign Office website. “If you have already received your Thailand Pass QR code, you can still enter Thailand under the scheme you registered for.”
It is, however, another blow to many winter sun-seekers planning trips. Officials also paused the so-called “sandbox” scheme, which had allowed visitors to roam an area freely so long as they remained within the vicinity of their accommodation.
Now, the sandbox scheme remains only on the party island of Phuket, where it was originally piloted.
The news comes days after British Airways suspended all direct flights to Bangkok until October 2022 as part of a pandemic-inflicted “reduced and dynamic schedule.”
Featured image by Jon Arnold/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees