Singapore Airlines Devalues KrisFlyer Star Alliance Award Chart
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As reported by travel blog One Mile At A Time, Singapore Airlines just announced that it’s making significant changes to rates for award travel on Star Alliance partner flights. Unfortunately, these changes mean that members of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program will most likely need additional miles starting this April if they plan on redeeming for travel on Star Alliance partner airlines in premium cabins.
Singapore Airlines maintains two separate award charts, one with rates for travel on Singapore Airlines and one with rates for travel on Star Alliance partners. While rates for award travel on Singapore Airlines will remain unchanged, members of the KrisFlyer program will notice changes to the rates for award travel on Star Alliance partners. Effective April 16, Star Alliance award travel booked through Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer program will require additional miles for travel in business and first class. Here are some of the major changes:
|Route||Current Award Travel Rate||Award Travel Rate Beginning on April 16|
|Europe to North America in Business Class||130,000 Miles R/T||144,000 Miles R/T|
|Travel Within North America in Business Class (Ex: Los Angeles to Toronto)||40,000 Miles R/T||46,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to North Asia 1 in Business Class (Ex: US to Taipei)||210,000 Miles R/T||230,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to South America in Business Class||100,000 Miles R/T||115,000 Miles R/T|
|Europe to the Middle East in Business Class||50,000 Miles R/T||58,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to Southwest Pacific in Business Class (Ex: US to Australia)||234,000 Miles R/T||260,000 Miles R/T|
The above chart is by no means an exhaustive list. The price of award travel in economy will not change. Travel in premium cabins will see an increase in the price of award redemptions globally.
If you want to access the entire Star Alliance award travel chart, both the current Singapore Airlines Star Alliance partner award travel chart and the Star Alliance award travel chart effective April 16 are available online.
The following award travel changes also address a significant loophole that allowed KrisFlyer members to redeem miles for travel on Singapore Airlines for fewer miles by adding Star Alliance partner flights to their itinerary. Historically, Singapore Airlines charged more for redemption exclusively on Singapore Airlines flights than for flights operated by Star Alliance partners.
If you want to redeem KrisFlyer miles for travel on Star Alliance at the current rate, you can book travel beyond the April 16 date and pay the current rate. However, beginning April 17 the new award chart for travel on Star Alliance will go into effect.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.