This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As reported by travel blog One Mile At A Time, Singapore Airlines just announced that it’s making significant changes to rates for award travel on Star Alliance partner flights. Unfortunately, these changes mean that members of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program will most likely need additional miles starting this April if they plan on redeeming for travel on Star Alliance partner airlines in premium cabins.
Singapore Airlines maintains two separate award charts, one with rates for travel on Singapore Airlines and one with rates for travel on Star Alliance partners. While rates for award travel on Singapore Airlines will remain unchanged, members of the KrisFlyer program will notice changes to the rates for award travel on Star Alliance partners. Effective April 16, Star Alliance award travel booked through Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer program will require additional miles for travel in business and first class. Here are some of the major changes:
|Route||Current Award Travel Rate||Award Travel Rate Beginning on April 16|
|Europe to North America in Business Class||130,000 Miles R/T||144,000 Miles R/T|
|Travel Within North America in Business Class (Ex: Los Angeles to Toronto)||40,000 Miles R/T||46,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to North Asia 1 in Business Class (Ex: US to Taipei)||210,000 Miles R/T||230,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to South America in Business Class||100,000 Miles R/T||115,000 Miles R/T|
|Europe to the Middle East in Business Class||50,000 Miles R/T||58,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to Southwest Pacific in Business Class (Ex: US to Australia)||234,000 Miles R/T||260,000 Miles R/T|
The above chart is by no means an exhaustive list. The price of award travel in economy will not change. Travel in premium cabins will see an increase in the price of award redemptions globally.
If you want to access the entire Star Alliance award travel chart, both the current Singapore Airlines Star Alliance partner award travel chart and the Star Alliance award travel chart effective April 16 are available online.
The following award travel changes also address a significant loophole that allowed KrisFlyer members to redeem miles for travel on Singapore Airlines for fewer miles by adding Star Alliance partner flights to their itinerary. Historically, Singapore Airlines charged more for redemption exclusively on Singapore Airlines flights than for flights operated by Star Alliance partners.
If you want to redeem KrisFlyer miles for travel on Star Alliance at the current rate, you can book travel beyond the April 16 date and pay the current rate. However, beginning April 17 the new award chart for travel on Star Alliance will go into effect.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees