Singapore Airlines Devalues KrisFlyer Star Alliance Award Chart
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As reported by travel blog One Mile At A Time, Singapore Airlines just announced that it’s making significant changes to rates for award travel on Star Alliance partner flights. Unfortunately, these changes mean that members of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program will most likely need additional miles starting this April if they plan on redeeming for travel on Star Alliance partner airlines in premium cabins.
Singapore Airlines maintains two separate award charts, one with rates for travel on Singapore Airlines and one with rates for travel on Star Alliance partners. While rates for award travel on Singapore Airlines will remain unchanged, members of the KrisFlyer program will notice changes to the rates for award travel on Star Alliance partners. Effective April 16, Star Alliance award travel booked through Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer program will require additional miles for travel in business and first class. Here are some of the major changes:
|Route||Current Award Travel Rate||Award Travel Rate Beginning on April 16|
|Europe to North America in Business Class||130,000 Miles R/T||144,000 Miles R/T|
|Travel Within North America in Business Class (Ex: Los Angeles to Toronto)||40,000 Miles R/T||46,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to North Asia 1 in Business Class (Ex: US to Taipei)||210,000 Miles R/T||230,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to South America in Business Class||100,000 Miles R/T||115,000 Miles R/T|
|Europe to the Middle East in Business Class||50,000 Miles R/T||58,000 Miles R/T|
|North America to Southwest Pacific in Business Class (Ex: US to Australia)||234,000 Miles R/T||260,000 Miles R/T|
The above chart is by no means an exhaustive list. The price of award travel in economy will not change. Travel in premium cabins will see an increase in the price of award redemptions globally.
If you want to access the entire Star Alliance award travel chart, both the current Singapore Airlines Star Alliance partner award travel chart and the Star Alliance award travel chart effective April 16 are available online.
The following award travel changes also address a significant loophole that allowed KrisFlyer members to redeem miles for travel on Singapore Airlines for fewer miles by adding Star Alliance partner flights to their itinerary. Historically, Singapore Airlines charged more for redemption exclusively on Singapore Airlines flights than for flights operated by Star Alliance partners.
If you want to redeem KrisFlyer miles for travel on Star Alliance at the current rate, you can book travel beyond the April 16 date and pay the current rate. However, beginning April 17 the new award chart for travel on Star Alliance will go into effect.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees