Singapore Air Receives Delivery of World’s First Ultra Long-Range A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Air has received delivery of the world’s first ultra long-range (ULR) A350, registered MSN220 (9V-SGA). The new plane wears the same registration as the airline’s A340-500s, and has the longest range of any current aircraft, capable of traveling up to 9,700 nautical miles, or more than 20 hours nonstop. The modified fuel system of the A350 ULR increased the current A350-900 design from 24,000 litres to 165,000 litres, extending the aircraft’s range without the need for additional fuel tanks. The aircraft also features a number of aerodynamic enhancements including extended winglets, resulting in a 25% reduction in fuel usage and emissions.
The aircraft is the first of seven ULR variants on order from Airbus. Thus far, Singapore Airlines is the only carrier that’s purchased these specialized planes, and plans to use them to relaunch the Singapore (SIN) to Newark (EWR) flight on October 11, 2018.
As previously mentioned on TPG, these new ULR A350s have [or lack] a unique feature: no economy cabins. The new ultra long-range planes seat just 161 passengers per flight: 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy. TPG previously reported that Singapore Airlines has released a good amount of award options for both premium economy and business class seats beginning the week after flights resume. TPG will also publish a review of the inaugural flight.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees