Singapore Air Receives Delivery of World’s First Ultra Long-Range A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Air has received delivery of the world’s first ultra long-range (ULR) A350, registered MSN220 (9V-SGA). The new plane wears the same registration as the airline’s A340-500s, and has the longest range of any current aircraft, capable of traveling up to 9,700 nautical miles, or more than 20 hours nonstop. The modified fuel system of the A350 ULR increased the current A350-900 design from 24,000 litres to 165,000 litres, extending the aircraft’s range without the need for additional fuel tanks. The aircraft also features a number of aerodynamic enhancements including extended winglets, resulting in a 25% reduction in fuel usage and emissions.
The aircraft is the first of seven ULR variants on order from Airbus. Thus far, Singapore Airlines is the only carrier that’s purchased these specialized planes, and plans to use them to relaunch the Singapore (SIN) to Newark (EWR) flight on October 11, 2018.
As previously mentioned on TPG, these new ULR A350s have [or lack] a unique feature: no economy cabins. The new ultra long-range planes seat just 161 passengers per flight: 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy. TPG previously reported that Singapore Airlines has released a good amount of award options for both premium economy and business class seats beginning the week after flights resume. TPG will also publish a review of the inaugural flight.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.