This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Air has received delivery of the world’s first ultra long-range (ULR) A350, registered MSN220 (9V-SGA). The new plane wears the same registration as the airline’s A340-500s, and has the longest range of any current aircraft, capable of traveling up to 9,700 nautical miles, or more than 20 hours nonstop. The modified fuel system of the A350 ULR increased the current A350-900 design from 24,000 litres to 165,000 litres, extending the aircraft’s range without the need for additional fuel tanks. The aircraft also features a number of aerodynamic enhancements including extended winglets, resulting in a 25% reduction in fuel usage and emissions.
The aircraft is the first of seven ULR variants on order from Airbus. Thus far, Singapore Airlines is the only carrier that’s purchased these specialized planes, and plans to use them to relaunch the Singapore (SIN) to Newark (EWR) flight on October 11, 2018.
As previously mentioned on TPG, these new ULR A350s have [or lack] a unique feature: no economy cabins. The new ultra long-range planes seat just 161 passengers per flight: 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy. TPG previously reported that Singapore Airlines has released a good amount of award options for both premium economy and business class seats beginning the week after flights resume. TPG will also publish a review of the inaugural flight.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees