You and 9 Friends Could Rent This Norwegian Island for $350 Per Person
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It may only be for a week, but it’ll be a really scenic week.
If you’ve got nine other friends who would be up for an unforgettable Arctic adventure, there’s an island called Fordypningsrommet, in the Fleinvær archipelago of Norway, waiting for you. For $3,500 a week, you could have the entire thing to yourself. Some quick math: That’s $350 per person, if you bring along enough people to fill the accommodations to a comfortable capacity. (On a tighter budget? You could fit 15 of your closest friends on the island, if you really wanted to get cozy.)
The island, called, has a collection of 10 structures on it, including cottages for sleeping, a bath house and a dining hall for cooking and eating, among others. In true Nordic style, there’s obviously an oceanside sauna.
The striking structures were built by a group of architects who won an Architizer 2018 A+Awards for the project, according to. The island has been open since 2017, but recent rave reviews on TripAdvisor have put it on the map for enthusiasts of far-flung destinations.
And this one is out there: To get to Fleinvær, you’ll have to take a public ferry or private boat from Bodø, a three-hour flighth from Oslo. From your remote cabin on the island, you’ll be able to spot the Lofoten Islands.
Though Fordypningsrommet is isolated, you and your fellow adventurers won’t be totally alone. Guests are joined on the island by a number of hosts who help prepare meals, give directions on how to use the sauna and aid with other care-taking tasks on the island. You won’t need to pay an extra fee for this service when booking between the summer months of June and August, but it will be an added cost when staying any other time of year.
Though The Arctic Hideaway warns travelers that in November and December especially, boat transfers can be difficult and may cause delays, a wintertime visit (when the weather is right) is best for travelers seeking the elusive Northern Lights.
It is possible to book a single bed during the summertime, if your vacation prerogative is to book a Scandinavian solo adventure. And if you’re an artist, you’re in luck: The Arctic Hideaway also offers six one-week artist residencies every year. To be considered, you must apply via mail and explain your work. If chosen, you will have to present the work created during your stay to an audience.
But if you’re looking to experience the island any other time of year without producing any masterpieces, start corralling those friends.
For more information about the experience and how to book your stay, head to The Arctic Hideaway‘s website.
Feature image courtesy of The Arctic Hideaway.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.