Update on our efforts to save lives with Rainbow Railroad
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post was updated to reflect that TPG and Lonely Planet completed a match and are donating $200,000 to Rainbow Railroad.
As you may know, we launched a major fundraiser during Pride Month for Rainbow Railroad. We are very excited to share that our $100,000 match was met! Rainbow Railroad will be receiving $200,000 on behalf of The Points Guy and the TPG community — truly incredible.
Here’s one story of a rescue.
Amin was just 17 and living in Chechnya when armed kidnappers broke into the beauty shop where he was working. Soldiers put a bag over his head, and he was thrown in the trunk of a car. He ended up being held for weeks along with other men — beaten and tortured, and thinking of suicide. When he was finally released, he’d lost everything. What was his supposed crime? Being gay.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amin was eventually rescued by an organization close to our hearts at The Points Guy — Rainbow Railroad. Rainbow Railroad rescues LGBTQIA+ individuals, and they saved Amin. He is now living as a free, out man in Canada.
It’s just one of the many stories that inspired TPG to get involved in this vital organization.
As mentioned, Brian Kelly and The Points Guy team matched donations of $100,000 to Rainbow Railroad.
The Points Guy and the TPG community have now raised over $720,000 and 2 million miles for Rainbow Railroad, resulting in the direct support of saving over 80 LGBTQIA+ identified individuals from around the world.
It’s one of the most concrete ways you can celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community.
Rainbow Railroad helps gay, lesbian and trans people escape attacks, kidnappings or even murder in places like Chechnya and Uganda. According to the organization, they help rescue people facing “persecution based on their sexual orientation, gender identity and sex characteristics.”
Featured image courtesy of Rainbow Railroad.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees