Disney Announces New 'Interactive City' Epcot Attraction
Disney announced upcoming changes to Epcot on Thursday, including a newly designed main entrance and a new play pavilion.
The still unnamed pavilion will be an interactive city — a concept that Disney says will be completely new to Epcot. The play pavilion will be located under the former Wonders of Life dome, which was more recently the Festival Center, and renderings show a colorful space with typical buildings one would find in a city, like a hotel and cinema.
"The new pavilion in development will include first-of-their-kind experiences devoted to playful fun, inviting guests into an innovative, interactive city bursting with games and hands-on activities," Disney said in a release. "Friends and family will interact with favorite Disney characters in an energetic metropolis unlike anything ever seen before at Epcot."
The park's main entrance plaza will also get a few upgrades, including "new pathways, sweeping green spaces and a newly reimagined fountain."
Disney hasn't set an opening date for the pavilion, but it said it will "debut to guests in time for the Walt Disney World Resort 50th anniversary." The resort will celebrate its 50th anniversary throughout 2021.
Planning to visit Epcot soon? Here are some stories that may help:
- TPG’s Ultimate Guide to Disney World
- The Best Restaurants in Disney World in 2019
- The Best Points Hotels Near Disney World in 2018
- In the Shadow of the Mouse: Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista – Disney Springs
- Renting Disney Vacation Club Points: Saving Money at Disney
- Six Things to Know About Disney Minnie Vans
- How to Ride Every Disney World Ride in One Day