Which Middle Eastern Airline Has Chosen This Luxurious Premium-Economy Seat?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seat manufacturer Haeco has unveiled a new premium economy seat and revealed that the launch customer, a “Middle East-based carrier,” will begin flying the product from early next year.
The clues strongly suggest the airline is Emirates. There are a limited number of Middle East airlines that would consider introducing a premium economy cabin, and the timing lines up with Emirates long-awaited launch of premium-economy.
The seat, known as the Eclipse Cabin, was unveiled at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg this week. The product can be modified to be either short-haul business class or long-haul premium economy, which is not unusual, since long-haul premium economy seats are often similar to what you would find in a short-haul first or business seat.
The promotional images of the seat show a width and configuration similar to premium-economy seating on major international airlines, but with a staggered design that should provide significant privacy compared with existing products.
The fixed-shell design means the passengers will not lose any personal space if the person in front of them reclines their seat. A similar fixed-shell design currently appears in premium economy on carriers such as Air France, Aeroflot and China Southern. (We didn’t especially like any of those seats when we reviewed them, but the Haeco version does look different.)
Haeco believes this product sits somewhere between premium economy and business class because of its unique design and high levels of privacy, so if Emirates does choose this product it could be a strong contender for one of the world’s best premium-economy products.
The seat is approved by the Federal Aviation Administration to be fitted in both the Boeing 737, where it could be a business or domestic first-class product, and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The unique design allows eight-across seating in the 787 cabin in a 2-4-2 configuration which should be welcome to airlines that could previously only fit seven across (in a 2-3-2 configuration).
Emirates boss Sir Tim Clark has said Emirates enormous fleet of A380’s will be the first to receive premium economy, and as yet this seat is not certified for that aircraft type.
Featured image by Haeco
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees