You Can Help Send Kids to Sleepaway Camp for Free by Donating to This Organization
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As aviation and travel enthusiasts, we understand just how much goes into getting from one place to another. At times, it can be the most crucial (and, sometimes, our favorite) part of going on a trip. But sadly, not everyone has access to air travel — and some people, despite whatever limitations are holding them back, really need it.
That’s why we were so excited to learn about the Experience Camps program. If you’re not already familiar with EC, they’re a nonprofit charity organization that sends boys and girls that lost a parent, sibling or primary caregiver on a one-week-long summer camp experience free of charge. Programs encourage children to explore their grief, build confidence and create lasting bonds with other campers through therapeutic (and fun) camp activities.
“For some of our kids, it’s the first time they’re in a camp atmosphere, and it’s pretty amazing to watch as they experience the joys of summer camp that they might not have been able to get otherwise,” Jesse Moss, national program manager of Experience Camps told The Points Guy.
This year’s campsites are in Georgia, California, Pennsylvania, Maine and Michigan and will occur throughout late July and August — and they’re pulling numbers. “This summer, our newest program in Michigan will have 60 kids,” Moss said. “Our largest program in Maine will have 185 kids (that one has been around the longest). Across the board, we’re going to have about 800 kids come to Experience Camps this summer.”
It costs about $2,500 to send one kid to camp, but Experience Camps covers the charges. Which is what leads us back to air travel — Experience Camps flies kids from all over the country to the various locations for each week-long session. The program does offer scholarships, but since the camp is completely free, they wind up spending between $5,000 and $10,000 in travel costs alone to get some kids to the campgrounds.
“If they didn’t have to cover all of those travel costs, they could actually send more kids to camp,” added Moss.
That’s where you come in. You can help Experience Camps by donating to their travel fund directly through their website. Just enter whatever amount you can, and you can help give a grieving child a fun, healing week at sleepaway camp for free. And be sure to write, The Points Guy in the additional comments section.
Featured image courtesy of Experience Camps.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees