Delta adds same-day change feature to mobile app as hold times creep up
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s mobile app is getting a bit more useful.
Last week, the Atlanta-based carrier rolled out a new version of the Fly Delta app which introduces a same-day change feature directly into the app. If you’re looking to change your flight without contact Delta by phone or messenger, this feature is for you.
You can now search for alternative flights and either standby or confirm the new itinerary directly within the mobile app. Same-day changes were previously only available by speaking with someone with Delta directly, which could take as many as six (or more) hours as of late.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Same-day changes allow you to make itinerary modifications within 24 hours of your original departure time. To confirm a seat on a new itinerary, you’ll need to find space in your originally ticketed fare class.
Otherwise, you can opt to go standby on an earlier flight when there’s no availability in the original fare class. (You can find the fare class by looking at the single-letter fare code on your eTicket.)
There’s no charge for SkyMiles Medallion Gold elites and higher to request same-day confirmed or standby changes. All other flyers will be on the hook for a $75 fee, which could still be cheaper than the fare difference you’d otherwise need to pay between your original and new flight.
You won’t be able to make changes to the origin or destination when making a same-day swap, even if you’re trying to switch between co-terminal airports, like New York’s LaGuardia and JFK.
Additionally, only domestic flights are eligible for same-day changes — you won’t receive the option to make a switch on an international itinerary. Finally, basic economy fares are not eligible for this added day-of-travel flexibility.
The move to digitize the same-day change experience comes as Delta is dealing with unprecedented wait times to speak to a phone agent. At press time, I called Delta’s reservation line and was told that the wait would be nearly 2 hours as a Gold Medallion member. Chad Tilbury, a TPG reader and Delta Diamond Medallion member recently told TPG that he was quoted a 2- to 5-hour wait when he tried calling last week.
By digitizing the same-day change process, hopefully flyers will take advantage of the new option, which could help free up time from Delta’s busy phone agents.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.