Delta adds same-day change feature to mobile app as hold times creep up
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s mobile app is getting a bit more useful.
Last week, the Atlanta-based carrier rolled out a new version of the Fly Delta app which introduces a same-day change feature directly into the app. If you’re looking to change your flight without contact Delta by phone or messenger, this feature is for you.
You can now search for alternative flights and either standby or confirm the new itinerary directly within the mobile app. Same-day changes were previously only available by speaking with someone with Delta directly, which could take as many as six (or more) hours as of late.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Same-day changes allow you to make itinerary modifications within 24 hours of your original departure time. To confirm a seat on a new itinerary, you’ll need to find space in your originally ticketed fare class.
Otherwise, you can opt to go standby on an earlier flight when there’s no availability in the original fare class. (You can find the fare class by looking at the single-letter fare code on your eTicket.)
There’s no charge for SkyMiles Medallion Gold elites and higher to request same-day confirmed or standby changes. All other flyers will be on the hook for a $75 fee, which could still be cheaper than the fare difference you’d otherwise need to pay between your original and new flight.
You won’t be able to make changes to the origin or destination when making a same-day swap, even if you’re trying to switch between co-terminal airports, like New York’s LaGuardia and JFK.
Additionally, only domestic flights are eligible for same-day changes — you won’t receive the option to make a switch on an international itinerary. Finally, basic economy fares are not eligible for this added day-of-travel flexibility.
The move to digitize the same-day change experience comes as Delta is dealing with unprecedented wait times to speak to a phone agent. At press time, I called Delta’s reservation line and was told that the wait would be nearly 2 hours as a Gold Medallion member. Chad Tilbury, a TPG reader and Delta Diamond Medallion member recently told TPG that he was quoted a 2- to 5-hour wait when he tried calling last week.
By digitizing the same-day change process, hopefully flyers will take advantage of the new option, which could help free up time from Delta’s busy phone agents.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees