Colorado Wildfires Force Airlines to Issue Travel Waivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The wildfires scorching the West Coast have yet to give up. In Colorado, the blazes have already burned down more than 175,000 acres this season, according to the Denver Post, and the heavy rains have washed down barren landscapes, uprooted fire debris, and created mudslides and flash floods. The wildfire in California has reached across more than 44,500 acres since Saturday, and state officials mandated evacuations on Sunday in Yolo County. As these fires continue to grow, they’re creating life-threatening environments. The wildfires have even caused parts of Yosemite National Park to close after the fire burned at least 14 square miles of forest along the western edge of the park so far.
In addition to the tragic events happening on the ground, the wildfires are affecting flights in and out of Aspen, CO (ASE) from now until July 28.
Airlines have released travel waivers to help travelers avoid these delays. As of publishing, here are the waivers that are active for Colorado:
If you’re traveling to/through/from:
- Aspen, Colorado (ASE)
The change fee may be waived if you:
- Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
- Bought your ticket by July 19, 2018
- Are scheduled to travel July 19 – 25, 2018
- Can travel July 19 – 28, 2018
- Don’t change your origin or destination city
- Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
Traveling to and from: Aspen, CO (ASE)
Travel Dates: July 20, 2018 – July 22, 2018
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before July 25, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Traveling to and from: Aspen, CO (ASE)
Travel Dates: July 5-25, 2018
Ticket must be reissued on or before: July 28
Rebooked travel must begin no later than: July 28
If you wish to cancel your trip as a result of a flight cancellation or significant delay (90 minutes or more), you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your ticket. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.
Featured image by JOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.