Colorado Wildfires Force Airlines to Issue Travel Waivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The wildfires scorching the West Coast have yet to give up. In Colorado, the blazes have already burned down more than 175,000 acres this season, according to the Denver Post, and the heavy rains have washed down barren landscapes, uprooted fire debris, and created mudslides and flash floods. The wildfire in California has reached across more than 44,500 acres since Saturday, and state officials mandated evacuations on Sunday in Yolo County. As these fires continue to grow, they’re creating life-threatening environments. The wildfires have even caused parts of Yosemite National Park to close after the fire burned at least 14 square miles of forest along the western edge of the park so far.
In addition to the tragic events happening on the ground, the wildfires are affecting flights in and out of Aspen, CO (ASE) from now until July 28.
Airlines have released travel waivers to help travelers avoid these delays. As of publishing, here are the waivers that are active for Colorado:
If you’re traveling to/through/from:
- Aspen, Colorado (ASE)
The change fee may be waived if you:
- Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
- Bought your ticket by July 19, 2018
- Are scheduled to travel July 19 – 25, 2018
- Can travel July 19 – 28, 2018
- Don’t change your origin or destination city
- Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
Traveling to and from: Aspen, CO (ASE)
Travel Dates: July 20, 2018 – July 22, 2018
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before July 25, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Traveling to and from: Aspen, CO (ASE)
Travel Dates: July 5-25, 2018
Ticket must be reissued on or before: July 28
Rebooked travel must begin no later than: July 28
If you wish to cancel your trip as a result of a flight cancellation or significant delay (90 minutes or more), you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your ticket. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.
Featured image by JOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees