Alaska on your bucket list? Alaska Airlines sale offers up to 21% off
If visiting Alaska is on your bucket list, Alaska Airlines is hoping to spur you into action.
The carrier has rolled out a sale for up to 21% off flights to its namesake state this summer. And in fact, this may be the best summer yet to visit Alaska without as many visitors as usual due to the pandemic’s impact on the state’s summer cruise season.
This flight deal covers flights between Alaska and all of Alaska Airlines’ destinations in the 48 contiguous states, but — as always — there’s some fine print.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Save 21% on flights to Alaska
The 21% off discount for 2021 travel applies to base economy fares for Alaska Airlines flights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays for travel from May 1 through June 30. Flights on other days are eligible for 10% off. First-class fares also receive 10% off during the sale, which ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on Sunday, April 4. The Alaska city of Prudhoe Bay is excluded from the offer.
To take advantage of the deal, customers must visit Alaska Airlines’ website and enter the code BUCKETLIST at the time of booking. Additional fine print can be viewed on Alaska Airlines’ website. The fare displayed in your search results will be the discounted rate, assuming you selected an eligible fare and utilized the promo code.
Increasing competition to Alaska
More broadly, Alaska’s 21% off sale comes during what appears to be an escalating turf battle with rival Delta.
The carriers already are fierce competitors in Seattle, where Delta once was a partner of Alaska before deciding carve out its own hub there. That led to a tit-for-tat expansion there, though that seemed to have cooled in recent years.
In March, Delta added a slew of new and expanded routes to Alaska, boosting flights to Anchorage (ANC), Fairbanks (FAI), Juneau (JNU), Ketchikan (KTN) and Sitka (SIT) from a variety of its hubs across in the lower 48. The routes, timed to capture summer travel, represented a big expansion into one of Alaska Airlines’ top markets.
One week later, Alaska responded with its own move – adding its first-ever summer seasonal route between Anchorage (ANC) and Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP). The move was widely viewed as a retaliatory shot at Delta, which operates a large hub at MSP.
For Alaska, which says plans for the sale were already in the works before the recent route announcements, the promotion is a way for it to reinforce its presence in the market.
“By nature of our brand and our strength in the state of Alaska, we don’t market it very often. So this will be one of the first times that we’ve done it,” Natalie Bowman, Alaska Airlines’ managing director for marketing and advertising, told TPG. “It was really in reaction to the decline in the cruise business, which is a critical piece of business for state of Alaska tourism. We wanted to do something that helps the state and gets more people up to Alaska.”
Bowman said the carrier is targeting those beginning to travel again and who — post pandemic — may be thinking about “that bucket list trip that they’ve been thinking about for 10 years and never did it, and now they want to do it. We feel like state of Alaska accomplishes that in a lot of ways.”
Bowman said its possible that Alaska could repeat the bucket-list them for sales to other destinations in the future. But, for now, the sale featuring Alaska will run through Sunday.
Contributing: Zach Griff, TPG
Featured photo by Zach Honig, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees