American Airlines will once again send physical elite kits, including luggage tags
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You might want to check your mailbox.
Beginning Tuesday, Aug. 3, American Airlines is once again sending physical elite-status kits to top-tier flyers who achieve and requalify for status.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Last year, American started phasing out physical membership packages, relying instead on a “fully digital” experience to welcome travelers back to status.
Now, the airline is now doing an about-face after listening to member feedback. “These kits are important keepsakes of their achievements,” American cited in explaining why they’re making a comeback.
With the latest move, top-tier Executive Platinum and second-to-top Platinum Pro members will receive elite kits, while AAdvantage Gold and Platinum flyers will continue to receive online-only membership packages.
Just like before, Executive Platinum members will receive a personalized membership card along with two personalized luggage tags, while Platinum Pro elites will only receive the membership card.
Starting on Tuesday, if you’ve achieved either of AA’s top two statuses this year, you’ll receive an email congratulating you on the achievement, and letting you know to expect a physical kit in the mail.
They’ll be sent via USPS and take 4 to 6 business days to arrive. If you achieved status earlier this year and would like a physical kit, you’ll need to call AA to request one.
In addition to bag tags for top-tier members — a source of great pride for select road warriors — all physical kits will include six recognition certificates that can be presented to AA staff for above-and-beyond service. (Those certificates will then be deposited by the crewmember to be eligible for additional bonuses or prizes.)
Elsewhere, United suspended sending physical elite kits in 2021. Delta appears to be continuing to send personalized bag tags for those who qualify for Medallion status.
For those hoping to score one of the physical elite kits, AA has made it considerably easier to earn status this year. Due to the pandemic, the airline slashed thresholds and added limited-time promotions, the latest of which includes an offer to earn either 2,000 elite-qualifying dollars or spend $15,000 on a co-branded American Airlines credit card to automatically requalify for status this year.
In addition to physical kits for elites, each of the Big 3 U.S. airlines has an invite-only status tier. Those members receive an upgraded welcome kit, often tricked out with special gifts, like a pair of Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses for Delta 360s, or a personalized metal luggage tag repurposed from a decommissioned MD-80 aircraft for AA’s Concierge Keys.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees