Within Days of Each Other, 3 Airlines Confirm Jump in Checked Bag Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
‘Tis the season for raising bag fees? Within days of each other, three airlines have all confirmed that they’re raising checked baggage fees — with some fees doubling from what was charged just days ago.
Air Canada and WestJet are raising their checked baggage fees from $25 to $30 for the first checked bag and $30 to $50 for the second checked bag.
According to its website, Air Canada will continue to charge its current fees on tickets issued before August 21 or for travel before October 5, 2018. Outside of those dates, the cost will be $30 CAD/USD for the first checked bag and $50 CAD/USD for the second checked bag:
After taxes, international flights from Canada to the US will cost $31.50 for the first checked bag and $52.50 for the second checked bag:
In a statement, an Air Canada spokesperson justifies the move by pointing out that “this is the first change since 2014 and will help offset overall increasing costs and keep overall ticket prices competitive.”
WestJet’s increased checked baggage fees are going into effect on October 1. An exemption is made for tickets purchased before August 24. Passengers who are traveling after October 1 but purchased their tickets before August 24 are instructed to “see an airport agent for the grandfathered fee.”
A WestJet spokesperson toes the same extra-fees-keep-fares-low line we’ve come to expect from airlines: “By raising fees for optional services, such as checked bags, we can continue to maintain the lower fares our guests expect.”
Last week, we shared the scoop that JetBlue was planning to raise checked baggage fees. Sure enough, days before it was rumored to go into effect, JetBlue has implemented its new checked baggage fees:
- First checked bags (20% more for Blue fares)
- Second checked bags (14% more for Blue and Blue Plus fares)
- Third checked bags (50% more for all fares)
- Overweight/oversized bags (50% more for all fares)
- Sports equipment (100% more for all fares)
The changes went into effect for tickets purchased on or after Tuesday, August 27:
With this change, the value of the JetBlue Plus Card goes up ever so slightly as the card provides cardholders their first checked bag for free. The card currently offers a sign-up bonus of 40,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days.
Credit Card to Use for Bag Fees
It’s best to put the purchase on a card that offers bonus points/miles on the purchase. Your top options are:
- Citi Premier Card (3x ThankYou points)
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x Ultimate Rewards points)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x Ultimate Rewards points)
Or, you can put the purchase on a card that reimburses miscellaneous airline fees such as:
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees