This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family
There appears a ridiculous deal for flights across the US to Croatia. You can fly from most major airports, and likely smaller ones, to Zagreb, Croatia (ZAG), from just $239 round-trip. Flights to Croatia usually go for three or four times this much.
It’s quite possible this is an error fare because you can only find it when booking through the online travel agency (OTA), CheapOair. Because of this you should only start booking your accommodations well after you’ve been ticketed. Similar to other OTA’s like Expedia and Priceline, CheapOAir has a 24-hour cancellation policy of you need to cancel your trip and is one of the more reputable OTAs out there.
Once you’re booked, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities in Croatia. Game of Thrones fanatics should check out this epic bus tour that hits Dubrovnik and other Croatian cities that have doubled as sets for the popular television show.
To search, head to CheapOair and enter your preferred origin city and Zagreb as your destination.
Airlines: British Airways, Iberia, American, Croatia Airlines
Routes: ORD/EWR/JFK/MIA/SFO/DFW/LAX/IAH/IAD/BWI/BNA/MSP/DTW/ATL and likely more to ZAG
Cost: $239+ round-trip
Travel Dates: November 2018 – April 2019
Pay With: Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $239 round-trip via CheapOair:
New York/Newark (JFK/EWR) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $248 round-trip via CheapOair:
Boston (BOS) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $287 round-trip via CheapOair:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $316 round-trip via CheapOair:
Miami (MIA) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $331 round-trip via CheapOair:
San Francisco (SFO) to Zagreb (ZAG) for $368 round-trip via CheapOair:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on travel purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, (3x on all travel purchases) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees