Deal alert: Flights to St. Croix, USVI for under $100 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story was updated on Aug. 30, 2021
Did you cancel your recent trip to the Caribbean, say the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos, due to COVID-19 logistics? Fear not, because St. Croix is open and ready for travelers, no U.S. passport or pre-U.S. departure COVID-19 test required.
Thrify Traveler says now is the time to book your trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands with flights under $100.
Flights are available from September – November from several U.S. cities, including Chicago, New Orleans and Tampa to St. Croix, one of the three islands comprising the USVI, from as low as $97 round-trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: ORD/MSY/JFK/LGA/EWR/PHL/TPA to STX
Cost: From $97
Dates: Book for travel between September and November 2021.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Round-trip flights starting at $97 from the below U.S. cities to St. Croix (STX), are available:
- Chicago (ORD)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- New York (JFK)
- New York (LGA)
- Newark (EWR)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Tampa (TPA)
Today’s crazy cheap fares are for one-stop Basic Economy fares on American. Note that all of the flights I found as part of this deal have at least one long layover on one of the legs, including the below flight departing from Chicago with a stop in Miami.
These basic economy deals include one complimentary carry-on bag and a checked bag for $60. Upgrades to the Main Cabin fares get free seat selection, flight changes and cancelation for a voucher.
Here’s another $98 round-trip fight to St. Croix from New York, which had the shortest layover overall I could find on this route via American.
If you are looking for an even shorter layover, Spirit also has flights as low as $100 on the same route. As is always the case, your fare immediately goes up thanks to their non-inclusive baggage policy, which charges $88 for a carry on and $78 to check.
The U.S. Virgin Islands are open to travelers, but a negative COVID-19 test result within five days prior to travel is required. Both a PCR or antigen test will be accepted. Consult U.S. Virgin Islands Tourism for more updates. As St. Croix is a U.S. territory, no test is required on return flights within the continental U.S.
Featured image of Buck Island, St. Croix, courtesy of U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Tourism
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees