This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Today we’re seeing deals from the West Coast and Texas to Hawaii from just $333 round-trip. Although most of Hawaii is currently under a hurricane warning, the core of the storm is expected to remain off the coast so the 50th state will hopefully bounce back quickly.
And if you’re worried about the volcano, don’t be. Not only has the lava stopped flowing, but the volcano was only affecting a small part of the Big Island — which is larger than Rhode Island and Connecticut combined. I just got back from visiting the resort area of Kona last week and the air was clearer there than any major city in the US that I checked.
There are no tricks to find these fares. Use Google Flights to search for your preferred departure and destination and then book directly with the airline.
Airlines: Hawaiian, Alaska, American, United
Routes: SAN/PDX/SJC/IAH to LIH/KOA/OGG/HNL
Cost: $333+ round-trip in economy
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Diego (SAN) to Lihue (LIH) for $333 round-trip on Hawaiian:
Portland (PDX) to Kona (KOA) for $333 round-trip on Hawaiian:
San Diego (SAN) to Kona (KOA) for $333 round-trip on Hawaiian:
San Diego (SAN) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $337 round-trip nonstop on Alaska:
San Jose (SJC) to Honolulu (HNL) for $337 round-trip nonstop on Alaska:
San Diego (SAN) to Lihue (LIH) for $342 round-trip on American:
Portland (PDX) to Kona (KOA) for $342 round-trip on United:
Houston (IAH) to Honolulu (HNL) for $364 round-trip on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees