Deal Alert: Flights to US Virgin Islands From $179 Round-Trip Nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you are looking for a Caribbean beach getaway without needing a passport or to exchange any money, the US Virgin Islands are calling your name. And today we are seeing some great fares to get there.
You can fly from Miami (MIA), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Tampa (TPA), New York (JFK/LGA/EWR), Boston (BOS) and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to St. Thomas (STT) round-trip for under $300 round-trip. West Coast readers can fly from San Diego (SAN), San Francisco (SFO), Las Vegas (LAS) or Los Angeles (LAX) to St. Thomas for under $370 round-trip. Most of these fares book into basic economy, but none of them are on United or ultra-low cost carriers like Spirit. So, you’ll get a free carry-on bag in all cases.
While there’s some availability this summer and next winter, many of the cheapest dates are in September — which is the heart of hurricane season. Although the chances that a hurricane will mess up your trip are low, it’s more important than ever to use a credit card that has solid travel protections.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA (online travel agency) like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: American Airlines, JetBlue, Delta
Routes: MIA/FLL/TPA/JFK/LGA/BOS/EWR/RDU/SAN/SFO/LAS/LAX to STT
Cost: $179+ round-trip
Travel Dates: July-October 2019 and January-March 2020 — depending on the route
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to St. Thomas (STT) for $179 round-trip nonstop in American Airlines basic economy:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to St. Thomas (STT) for $222 round-trip 1-stop on JetBlue:
Tampa (TPA) to St. Thomas (STT) for $248 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($298 for standard economy):
New York Kennedy (JFK) to St. Thomas (STT) for $285 round-trip nonstop in Delta basic economy ($345 for standard economy):
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to St. Thomas (STT) for $291 round-trip 1-stop in American Airlines basic economy ($351 for Main Cabin):
Boston (BOS) to St. Thomas (STT) for $293 round-trip on JetBlue:
Newark (EWR) to St. Thomas (STT) for $294 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($354 for standard economy):
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to St. Thomas (STT) for $296 round-trip 1-stop in American Airlines basic economy ($355 for Main Cabin):
San Diego (SAN) to St. Thomas (STT) for $343 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($402 for standard economy):
San Francisco (SFO) to St. Thomas (STT) for $352 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($412 for standard economy):
Las Vegas (LAS) to St. Thomas (STT) for $358 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($418 for standard economy):
Los Angeles (LAX) to St. Thomas (STT) for $366 round-trip 1-stop in Delta basic economy ($426 for standard economy):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or Amextravel.com) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by sorincolac via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.