Deal alert: Fly from NYC to Portugal from $327 roundtrip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Right now is a great time to visit Europe.
Flights to some of the continent’s most desirable destinations are on sale, with some of the best prices available for travel to Portugal. Spain’s culture-rich neighbor is one of those countries everyone should visit at least once. Now you can visit places like Lisbon and Porto while saving big money on roundtrip itineraries. There are some nonstops available, too.
A few housekeeping notes. These discounted fares are for basic economy seats. This means that you can only bring a carry-on bag for those fares, so if you prefer to travel with checked baggage take a look at what it will cost you to upgrade to get a free checked bag, compared to paying for a checked bag separately. Often, you’ll find it will save you money to upgrade.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Details on these discounted fares come courtesy of our friends at Scott’s Cheap Flights in a deal first sent to their premium subscribers. The premium subscription to the newsletter on discounted fares is $49 per year and elite membership costs $199 annually.
Nonmembers can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: American, British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Finnair, Iberia, TAP and United
Routes: JFK/EWR to FAO/LIS and OPO
Cost: Flights available from $327; some nonstop routes available
Dates: February — May; Some routes available in September and October
You can fly from Kennedy Airport (JFK) to Porto (OPO) this spring for just $356 roundtrip on Iberia, a huge savings from normal prices. We found this price across April and May, as well as in September in case you want to book a fall trip. Note the cost of the first checked bag; it’s why we mentioned earlier to consider upgrading if you want to check a bag.
Check out this deal. Nonstop economy seats on TAP Air Portugal from NYC (JFK) to Lisbon (LIS) can be had for just $327 across a variety of dates from March through May.
Flights from JFK to Faro (FAO) are available for just $330 roundtrip on TAP. The best prices we saw were for March travel. April and May dates were a bit pricier at around $400.
If Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is a more convenient departure point, you can fly to Faro (FAO) for the same low price.
Newark also has deeply discounted nonstop fares to Lisbon (LIS) on TAP. We found lots of tickets for just $335 for an economy seat. The best availability was in March and May.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3 points per dollar on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by TorriPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees