Helicopter Taxi Debuts in Bangalore
Bangalore, India, is known to be a high-traffic city. So, commutes to the airport can be a headache for travelers because it can take passengers up to two hours by road to reach Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) from the city’s tech center, Electronic City. Enter Bangalore’s new heli-taxi service, which recently debuted and cuts that long, 40-mile commute to the airport down to 15 minutes flat.
Introduced by Thumby Aviation, the heli-taxi seats up to six passengers, according to Conde Nast Traveller India, and tickets for the service run about $65. That price includes a ride to/from the Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) terminal to/from the helipad in Electronic City and a carry-on bag weighing up to 33 pounds. Anything over that weight limit will have to be shipped on the ground for an additional fee. Flights currently operate in two shifts designed around peak business hours, with about three roundtrips feasible per shift. The first shift is between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., and the second is 3:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Customers can book a seat through the Heli Taxii mobile app (available on Android/iOS).
Currently, the heli taxi is only available between Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) and Electronic City. The service will add more drop-off points once it has approval for helipads around the city. In the next two weeks, another airport, Bangalore’s HAL, will be added as an additional destination.
Heli taxis are among the up-and-coming helicopter transport services. BLADE Bounce has already been offering transfers for its users between New York’s three main airports (and smaller NYC airports) for $295 one way. In February 2017, the company expanded its service in Los Angeles.
Featured Image by Zarnell
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.