Helicopter Taxi Debuts in Bangalore
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bangalore, India, is known to be a high-traffic city. So, commutes to the airport can be a headache for travelers because it can take passengers up to two hours by road to reach Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) from the city’s tech center, Electronic City. Enter Bangalore’s new heli-taxi service, which recently debuted and cuts that long, 40-mile commute to the airport down to 15 minutes flat.
Introduced by Thumby Aviation, the heli-taxi seats up to six passengers, according to Conde Nast Traveller India, and tickets for the service run about $65. That price includes a ride to/from the Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) terminal to/from the helipad in Electronic City and a carry-on bag weighing up to 33 pounds. Anything over that weight limit will have to be shipped on the ground for an additional fee. Flights currently operate in two shifts designed around peak business hours, with about three roundtrips feasible per shift. The first shift is between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., and the second is 3:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Customers can book a seat through the Heli Taxii mobile app (available on Android/iOS).
Currently, the heli taxi is only available between Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) and Electronic City. The service will add more drop-off points once it has approval for helipads around the city. In the next two weeks, another airport, Bangalore’s HAL, will be added as an additional destination.
Heli taxis are among the up-and-coming helicopter transport services. BLADE Bounce has already been offering transfers for its users between New York’s three main airports (and smaller NYC airports) for $295 one way. In February 2017, the company expanded its service in Los Angeles.
Featured Image by Zarnell
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees