This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bangalore, India, is known to be a high-traffic city. So, commutes to the airport can be a headache for travelers because it can take passengers up to two hours by road to reach Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) from the city’s tech center, Electronic City. Enter Bangalore’s new heli-taxi service, which recently debuted and cuts that long, 40-mile commute to the airport down to 15 minutes flat.
Introduced by Thumby Aviation, the heli-taxi seats up to six passengers, according to Conde Nast Traveller India, and tickets for the service run about $65. That price includes a ride to/from the Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) terminal to/from the helipad in Electronic City and a carry-on bag weighing up to 33 pounds. Anything over that weight limit will have to be shipped on the ground for an additional fee. Flights currently operate in two shifts designed around peak business hours, with about three roundtrips feasible per shift. The first shift is between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., and the second is 3:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Customers can book a seat through the Heli Taxii mobile app (available on Android/iOS).
Currently, the heli taxi is only available between Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) and Electronic City. The service will add more drop-off points once it has approval for helipads around the city. In the next two weeks, another airport, Bangalore’s HAL, will be added as an additional destination.
Heli taxis are among the up-and-coming helicopter transport services. BLADE Bounce has already been offering transfers for its users between New York’s three main airports (and smaller NYC airports) for $295 one way. In February 2017, the company expanded its service in Los Angeles.
Featured Image by Zarnell
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards