This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the first time in six years, Romans woke up Monday morning to a winter wonderland after a rare storm dusted the city’s famous monuments in snow. The storm, dubbed the “Beast from the East,” brought a blanket of snow overnight, shutting down schools and causing major disruptions to ground and air travel in Italy’s capital city.
According to Reuters, Rome’s main airport, Fiumicino (FCO), had only one runway operating on Sunday while the second airport, Ciampino (CIA), was closed overnight. Ryanair, which uses Ciampino as its Italian hub, cancelled all flights to and from the airport, according to Reuters. Despite some delays, most of Italy’s other main airports remained opened.
In addition to airport closures, schools and public offices were ordered to close, as many people could not reach their places of work. Police asked residents to stay at home if possible. Local authorities opened several train stations as emergency shelters for the homeless. The city asked other areas to send in snow plows to help clear roads, and snow-removal crews were in place for the winter blast.
A number of tourist attractions were also closed, including the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill. Yet many tourist and locals took advantage of the snow and had some fun at parks and sites throughout the city. The Circo Massimo and St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican were hotspots for snowball fights, as priests and seminarians were captured throwing snowballs.
Source: H/T Reuters.com
Featured photo: Tourists take pictures of the ancient Colosseum during a snowfall in Rome. (Photo by VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images)
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that