The Caribbean Dodged a Tsunami After Tuesday’s Earthquake
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The entire Caribbean is no longer under threat of a tsunami the day after a 7.6-magnitude earthquake east of Honduras.
Puerto Rico, Honduras, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, parts of Mexico and other areas in the Caribbean had been warned that they might see waters rise one to three feet above tide level after the quake, which struck around 10:00pm EST Tuesday. The surges didn’t appear, and the warning was eventually canceled for the region by Wednesday morning.
“The tsunami threat from the earthquake has passed, and there is no further threat,” the Pacific Tsunami Watch Center reported just before midnight in what it called its final statement on the event.
Two hours earlier, the National Weather Service had issued a statement saying that no tsunami was expected to hit the US Atlantic or Gulf coasts.
The Caribbean has slowly been recovering from the two-fisted blows of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, with parts still struggling with basic necessities while also trying to attract back much-needed tourist dollars.
No major airlines are offering waivers because of the earthquake or tsunami warning.
Map via National Weather Service
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.