The Caribbean Dodged a Tsunami After Tuesday’s Earthquake
The entire Caribbean is no longer under threat of a tsunami the day after a 7.6-magnitude earthquake east of Honduras.
Puerto Rico, Honduras, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, parts of Mexico and other areas in the Caribbean had been warned that they might see waters rise one to three feet above tide level after the quake, which struck around 10:00pm EST Tuesday. The surges didn’t appear, and the warning was eventually canceled for the region by Wednesday morning.
“The tsunami threat from the earthquake has passed, and there is no further threat,” the Pacific Tsunami Watch Center reported just before midnight in what it called its final statement on the event.
Two hours earlier, the National Weather Service had issued a statement saying that no tsunami was expected to hit the US Atlantic or Gulf coasts.
The Caribbean has slowly been recovering from the two-fisted blows of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, with parts still struggling with basic necessities while also trying to attract back much-needed tourist dollars.
No major airlines are offering waivers because of the earthquake or tsunami warning.
Map via National Weather Service
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.