This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The entire Caribbean is no longer under threat of a tsunami the day after a 7.6-magnitude earthquake east of Honduras.
Puerto Rico, Honduras, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, parts of Mexico and other areas in the Caribbean had been warned that they might see waters rise one to three feet above tide level after the quake, which struck around 10:00pm EST Tuesday. The surges didn’t appear, and the warning was eventually canceled for the region by Wednesday morning.
“The tsunami threat from the earthquake has passed, and there is no further threat,” the Pacific Tsunami Watch Center reported just before midnight in what it called its final statement on the event.
Two hours earlier, the National Weather Service had issued a statement saying that no tsunami was expected to hit the US Atlantic or Gulf coasts.
The Caribbean has slowly been recovering from the two-fisted blows of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, with parts still struggling with basic necessities while also trying to attract back much-needed tourist dollars.
No major airlines are offering waivers because of the earthquake or tsunami warning.
Map via National Weather Service
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards