This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
A variety of airlines are offering cheap flights this spring to Italian cities of Rome (FCO) and Milan (MXP). The lowest prices are on Norwegian — which means no free checked bag or meals on-board — but others are available on mainline carriers United, Delta, Air France, Alitalia and Emirates. Use Google Flights to search by plugging in your departure city and desired dates, then book through the airline or Expedia.
If you’re looking to grab the cheapest option, remember that you can save up to 30% off Norwegian flights by booking your flights on the Norwegian version of the website. Just navigate to www.norwegian.no and use a website translate tool like Google Translate to help you through the process.
Airline: Norwegian, United, Delta, Air France, Alitalia, Emirates
Routes: EWR/LAX/SFO/SJC/JFK to FCO/MXP
Cost: $320+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to May
Booking Link: Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for $320 round-trip on Norwegian:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Rome (FCO) for $380 round-trip on Norwegian:
Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for $398 on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $413 on United:
San Jose (SJC) to Rome (FCO) for $438 on Delta/Air France:
New York’s JFK to Milan (MXP) for $441 nonstop on Alitalia:
Newark (EWR) to Milan (MXP) for $441 nonstop on United:
New York’s JFK to Milan (MXP) for $441 nonstop on Emirates:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by powerofforever / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees