This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Due to bad weather in Chicago on Sunday, American Airlines and United have issued travel waivers allowing passengers to change their flights for free.
Thus far, 110 flights to and from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) have been cancelled on Sunday and another 254 have been delayed, according to FlightAware. The situation is likely to get worse, as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a delay advisory for Chicago flights. The ground delay program starts at 2pm Central time and is expected to run through midnight. The system expects average delays of 94 minutes, with the potential for delays over three hours.
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top credit cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of 1pm Central, the following airline waivers are available:
- Travel dates: January 7
- Airports covered: Chicago (ORD)
- Must have purchased your ticket by January 7
- Rebook travel anytime between January 7-12
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: January 7
- Airports covered: Chicago (ORD)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 12, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
As of publishing, the following airlines haven’t released waivers: Alaska, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, Virgin America.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees