Highlights From TripAdvisor’s 2017 Year-in-Review Data
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TripAdvisor, the travel site “covering the world’s largest selection of travel listings with 7.3 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants,” just released its year-end data report and the people (570 million, according to the company) have spoken. From the Most Booked Hotel to the Portuguese bakery taking the world by storm, here’s what’s been at the top of travelers’ lists for 2017.
TripAdvisor US Hot Spots:
Most booked hotel: Boston Park Plaza – Boston, Massachusetts
Most reviewed hotel: Caesars Palace – Las Vegas, Nevada
Most booked attraction: Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California
Most reviewed attraction: Central Park – New York City, New York
Most reviewed eatery: Café du Monde – New Orleans, Louisiana
Most reviewed city: New York City
TripAdvisor Global Trends:
- London received just over 1 million reviews — more than any other city in the world.
- The Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana received more reviews than any other hotel in the world.
- Japanese travelers wrote, on average, more reviews than any other nationality.
- Pasteis de Belem, a Portuguese bakery in Lisbon, received over 10,000 reviews from hungry travelers this year — more than any other eatery in the world.
- Burj Khalifa in Dubai was the world’s most booked attraction on TripAdvisor.
- However, the most reviewed attraction was the Basilica of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona — with nearly 30,000 reviews.
- The Boston Park Plaza in Massachusetts received more room bookings on TripAdvisor than any other hotel in the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.