This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On your next trip through London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR), be sure to save time to stop at the igloo. That’s right, an igloo. For a limited time at the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in LHR’s Terminal 3, you’ll be able to warm up in the lounge’s igloo with some spectacular views of the tarmac.
Between Monday, December 18, 2017 and January 13, 2018, you can pay a visit to the igloo free of charge. The igloo is designed to seat up to eight people, and according to a press release, is “decorated in a Nordic style with Virgin flair.”
The igloo was installed in conjunction with London’s Coppa Club, a London restaurant and bar that installed similar igloos along the River Thames last winter, which were extremely popular. Virgin was able to get its hands on one of the igloos for its Clubhouse, which is generally known as one of the best airport lounges around.
“This winter we’re bringing the UK’s most in demand pop up direct to our customers by introducing an igloo on the roof of our Heathrow Clubhouse,” said Vice President Customer Experience for Virgin Atlantic, Daniel Kerzner. “We’ve created one of the world’s most thrilling airport experiences where customers can eat, drink and relax under the stars with unrivaled views of the runway.”
If you’re traveling through LHR in the next few weeks and can get into the Clubhouse, be sure to build in some extra time to your travel plans to check out the igloo. Access to the Clubhouse is very limited — you’ll need to be flying in Upper Class with Virgin or in Delta One, or you can enter if you’re a Delta Platinum or Diamond Medallion, or have Gold status in Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club program.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees