This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On your next trip through London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR), be sure to save time to stop at the igloo. That’s right, an igloo. For a limited time at the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in LHR’s Terminal 3, you’ll be able to warm up in the lounge’s igloo with some spectacular views of the tarmac.
Between Monday, December 18, 2017 and January 13, 2018, you can pay a visit to the igloo free of charge. The igloo is designed to seat up to eight people, and according to a press release, is “decorated in a Nordic style with Virgin flair.”
The igloo was installed in conjunction with London’s Coppa Club, a London restaurant and bar that installed similar igloos along the River Thames last winter, which were extremely popular. Virgin was able to get its hands on one of the igloos for its Clubhouse, which is generally known as one of the best airport lounges around.
“This winter we’re bringing the UK’s most in demand pop up direct to our customers by introducing an igloo on the roof of our Heathrow Clubhouse,” said Vice President Customer Experience for Virgin Atlantic, Daniel Kerzner. “We’ve created one of the world’s most thrilling airport experiences where customers can eat, drink and relax under the stars with unrivaled views of the runway.”
If you’re traveling through LHR in the next few weeks and can get into the Clubhouse, be sure to build in some extra time to your travel plans to check out the igloo. Access to the Clubhouse is very limited — you’ll need to be flying in Upper Class with Virgin or in Delta One, or you can enter if you’re a Delta Platinum or Diamond Medallion, or have Gold status in Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club program.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees