Exciting New Airline Routes for December 2017 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN DECEMBER 2017
Scoot Starts One-Stop Service Between Hawaii and Singapore (launched December 19)
Details — Scoot, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, recently launched a new route between Singapore (SIN) and Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL) via a stop in Osaka, Japan (KIX). On the bright side, you can expect to fly on the airline’s 787-8 Dreamliner and have more options to choose from when traveling between the three cities (tickets for each leg can be booked separately). The downside: extra fees for bags, meals, entertainment and in-seat power can really add up — Scoot is a low-cost carrier after all.
Monday, Tuesday, Saturday:
- TR 700 Singapore (SIN) 10:45am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 5:30pm Arrival
- TR 700 Osaka (KIX) 7:25pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 7:30am Arrival
- TR 700 Singapore (SIN) 9:55am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 4:55pm Arrival
- TR 700 Osaka (KIX) 6:50pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 7:00am Arrival
Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday:
- TR 701 Honolulu (HNL) 9:35am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 2:00pm (+1) Arrival
Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday:
- TR 701 Osaka (KIX) 3:10pm Departure → Singapore (SIN) 9:10pm Arrival
Avianca Brazil Begins Nonstop Flights from New York to São Paulo (launched December 15)
Details — Earlier this month, Avianca Brazil became the fourth airline to fly nonstop between New York (JFK) and São Paulo (GRU), offering flights aboard its A330-200. Delta currently operates the same route with an A330, while American Airlines and LATAM use a 777 and an A350, respectively.
- AV 8500 São Paulo (GRU) 11:45pm Departure → New York City (JFK) 6:45am (+1) Arrival
- AV 8501 New York City (JFK) 11:30pm Departure → São Paulo (GRU) 12:30pm (+1) Arrival
Alaska Airlines Adds Nonstop Service from San Francisco to Kona (launched December 14)
Details — Calling all Bay Area folks in the mood for a tropical getaway: As of December 14, you can fly nonstop from San Francisco (SFO) to Kona (KOA) — on Hawaii’s Big Island — with this new Alaska Airlines route. With daily flights aboard Virgin America’s A320s, those swaying palm trees, impressive volcanoes and beautiful beaches you’ve been dreaming about just got a whole lot closer.
- AS 1041 San Francisco (SFO) 11:30am Departure → Kona (KOA) 3:15pm Arrival
- AS 1042 Kona (KOA) 4:15pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 11:17pm Arrival
New Nonstop Flights from LA to Shenzhen on Air China (launched December 7)
Details — Travelers will now have another option for flying nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Shenzhen (SZX) thanks to new thrice-weekly service by Air China aboard the carrier’s 787-9 Dreamliner. Note that Shenzhen is only about 20 miles from Hong Kong, so this could be a good way to get there, too.
Schedule: (3x per week on Monday, Thursday and Saturday):
- CA769 Shenzhen (SZX) 11:30pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 8:00pm Arrival
- CA770 Los Angeles (LAX) 10:50pm Departure → Shenzhen (SZX) 5:40am (+2) Arrival
American Airlines Offers More Routes from the US to Rio and Cartagena (launched December 15)
Details — American Airlines expanded its South America service this month by adding new routes between Dallas (DFW) and Rio de Janeiro (GIG), and Miami (MIA) and Cartagena (CTG). The Rio route will be serviced by the airline’s 767-300s, while flights to and from Cartagena will be operated by AA’s A319s.
Rio de Janeiro (3x per week):
- AA 223 Dallas (DFW) 6:50pm Departure → Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 9:20am (+1) Arrival
- AA 224 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 11:00pm Departure → Dallas (DFW) 5:45am (+1) Arrival
- AA 1145 Miami (MIA) 10:50am Departure → Cartagena (CTG) 1:46pm Arrival
- AA 1144 Cartagena (CTG) 2:40pm Departure → Miami (MIA) 5:55pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER 2017
United Announces New Nonstop Flights from San Francisco to Tahiti
Details — From October 30, 2018, to March 28, 2019, United Airlines says it will operate thrice-weekly seasonal service from San Francisco (SFO) to Papeete (PPT) aboard the carrier’s 787 Dreamliner. From Papeete, it’s just a short hop to the nearby islands of Bora Bora and Moorea, making your ultimate Tahiti dream trip more accessible than ever.
Schedule (3x per week on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday):
- UA115 San Francisco (SFO) 2:45pm Departure → Papeete (PPT) 9:25pm Arrival
- UA114 Papeete (PPT) 11:45pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 9:50am (+1) Arrival
Air Canada to Expand Service to Several US Cities
Details — Air Canada is planning to kick its US expansion into high gear next year by adding six new routes to its Air Canada Express lineup. Daily flights from Baltimore/Washington DC (BWI) to Montreal (YUL), Omaha (OMA) to Toronto (YYZ), Pittsburgh (PIT) to YUL, and Providence (PVD) to YYZ will be operated by Bombardier CRJs with 50 seats. Flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Edmonton (YEG) and Sacramento (SMF) to Vancouver (YVR) will be operated by a mix of Bombardier CRJ 700s with 75 seats and CRJ 900s with 76 seats.
Schedule (daily, starting May 1):
- San Francisco (SFO) – Edmonton (YEG)
- Omaha (OMA) – Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
Schedule (daily, starting May 17):
- Baltimore/Washington DC (BWI) – Montreal YUL)
- Pittsburgh (PIT) – Montreal (YUL)
- Providence (PVD) – Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
- Sacramento (SMF) – Vancouver (YVR)
Fly Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to Washington, DC
Details — Great news for anyone on the East Coast looking to visit Asia: As of September 15, 2018, you’ll be able to fly nonstop between Washington, DC (IAD) and Hong Kong (HKG) on Cathay Pacific. The route will be operated by the carrier’s new A350-1000 XWB, a larger and more exciting aircraft than its A350-900 predecessor.
Schedule (4x per week):
- CX861 Washington, DC (IAD) 1:15am Departure → Hong Kong (HKG) 5:10am (+1) Arrival
- CX860 Hong Kong (HKG) 6:35pm Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 10:20pm Arrival
Hawaiian Airlines to Add Service Between San Diego and Maui, Several Seasonal Flights
Details — It’ll soon be easier to get from San Francisco (SFO) to Maui (OGG) once Hawaiian Airlines’ new daily nonstop service begins May 1, 2018. Also slated for next year are four new seasonal flights between SFO and Honolulu (HNL), Oakland (OAK) and Kona (KOA), Los Angeles (LAX) and Maui (OGG), as well as international summer service between HNL and Tokyo (NRT).
- HA37 San Diego (SAN) 8:15am Departure → Kahului (OGG) 11:15am Arrival
- HA38 Kahului (OGG) 12:50pm Departure → San Diego (SAN) 9:10pm Arrival
Daily, from May 25 – July 31, 2018:
- HA53 San Francisco (SFO) 8:00am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 10:35am Arrival
- HA54 Honolulu (HNL) 9:50pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
Daily, from May 26 – September 2, 2018:
- HA65 Oakland (OAK) 11:30am Departure → Kona (KOA) 1:55pm Arrival
- HA66 Kona (KOA) 3:30pm Departure → Oakland (OAK) 11:35pm Arrival
Daily, from June 1 – August 31, 2018:
- HA55 Los Angeles (LAX) 1:30pm Departure → Maui (OGG) 4:15pm Arrival
- HA56 Maui (OGG) 10:00pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 6:05am (+1) Arrival
Daily, from August 1 – September 30, 2018:
- HA824 Tokyo (NRT) 9:30pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 10:20am Arrival
- HA823 Honolulu (HNL) 4:05pm Departure → Tokyo (NRT) 7:30pm (+1) Arrival
Delta Plans Nonstop Flights from LA to Shanghai
Details — Delta’s planning to launch new service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Shanghai (PVG) aboard its A350-900 XWB aircraft, flying every other day starting July 2 and making the switch to daily service by July 18, 2018.
- DL89 Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25pm Departure → Shanghai (PVG) 5:50pm (+1) Arrival
- DL88 Shanghai (PVG) 8:15pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 5:35pm Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Additional reporting by Jeffrey Preis. Featured image by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees