Boeing In Talks for a Potential Takeover of Embraer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing and Embraer have been in talks for a potential Boeing takeover of the Brazilian aircraft maker. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the deal would help the Chicago-based Boeing strengthen its presence in the regional jet market. The deal would involve a relatively large premium for Embraer.
According to sources familiar with the matter, the talks for a takeover are on hold while the two companies wait for approval from the Brazilian government. The deal would need approval in Brazil because the government has a golden share in Embraer, allowing it to veto a deal such as this.
Because Embraer plays such a crucial role in the Brazilian economy, there’s doubt that the government will actually approve a Boeing takeover. As the WSJ reports, Boeing is willing to coax the Brazilian government into approving the deal with provisions that would protect certain aspects of Embraer, such as its brand, management and jobs. In addition, Boeing would protect the manufacturer’s military and defense operations.
If the deal does advance, it’ll help Boeing to compete in the regional jet market — one where Airbus currently has the upper hand following its recent deal with Bombardier.
Featured image by Eric Piermont / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees