Boeing In Talks for a Potential Takeover of Embraer
Boeing and Embraer have been in talks for a potential Boeing takeover of the Brazilian aircraft maker. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the deal would help the Chicago-based Boeing strengthen its presence in the regional jet market. The deal would involve a relatively large premium for Embraer.
According to sources familiar with the matter, the talks for a takeover are on hold while the two companies wait for approval from the Brazilian government. The deal would need approval in Brazil because the government has a golden share in Embraer, allowing it to veto a deal such as this.
Because Embraer plays such a crucial role in the Brazilian economy, there’s doubt that the government will actually approve a Boeing takeover. As the WSJ reports, Boeing is willing to coax the Brazilian government into approving the deal with provisions that would protect certain aspects of Embraer, such as its brand, management and jobs. In addition, Boeing would protect the manufacturer’s military and defense operations.
If the deal does advance, it’ll help Boeing to compete in the regional jet market — one where Airbus currently has the upper hand following its recent deal with Bombardier.
Featured image by Eric Piermont / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.