Deal Alert: East Coast to LA and SF From $108 Round-Trip in Basic Economy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American and United are offering low fares on many cross-country routes. We’re seeing one-way flights from Philadelphia (PHL) to Los Angeles (LAX) and vice versa for as little as $50 one-way or $108 round-trip in basic economy. Note that this round-trip ticket must be booked on separate tickets with United and American in order to get the lowest price.
On some of the routes — between Tampa (TPA) and Pittsburgh (PIT) and San Francisco (SFO) — the flights are in American’s Main Cabin. So, you won’t need to worry about basic economy restrictions. The examples below are also available in the opposite direction. The best way to search for these fares is by browsing Google Flights’ calendar function. When you select dates that work for you, click through to book with the airline itself.
Airline: American and United
Routes: PHL/PIT/TPA to LAX/SFO and vice versa
Cost: $50+ one-way/$108+ round-trip in basic economy
Dates: January — March 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $50 ($174 Main Cabin) one-way with American:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Philadelphia (PHL) for $58 ($78 regular economy) one-way with United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Philadelphia (PHL) for $108 ($252 regular economy) round-trip with American and United:
Tampa (TPA) to San Francisco (SFO) for $117 round-trip in Main Cabin with American:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to San Francisco (SFO) for $117 round-trip in Main Cabin with American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees