This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a time to be thankful — especially for products that make traveling easier (think better shut-eye and on-demand jet service). Lucky for us, there’s something else to add to the list: Hopper mobile app.
This nifty app predicts future flight prices “with 95% accuracy” according to the company and offers suggestions on whether to buy a plane ticket now or wait it out, in which case you can set up notifications to get alerted once the price has dropped.
With data Hopper has collected, the app found that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is the best time to score travel deals (ahem, “Travel Deal Tuesday”). In fact, the company says sales this time last year more than doubled. In 2015, airfare sales went up by “6X the normal volume.”
So what are the predictions for this year? Hopper says you can expect a roundtrip to Paris starting at $566 per ticket and roundtrip to Shanghai at just $512.
“The airlines offer major discounts because travel demand tends to die down following Thanksgiving,” Hopper’s Chief Data Scientist Patrick Surry states on the company’s website. “Most travelers have already booked their holiday airfare, but haven’t started planning their winter getaways yet.”
Sales activity on Tuesday happens throughout the day but tends to start around “6:30 a.m. ET and peaks around 9:30 a.m,” which means you don’t have all day. Download Hooper and the app will keep you up-to-date with notifications each time a deal matches your selected travel destinations and dates.
Featured image by Hopper.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees