This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a time to be thankful — especially for products that make traveling easier (think better shut-eye and on-demand jet service). Lucky for us, there’s something else to add to the list: Hopper mobile app.
This nifty app predicts future flight prices “with 95% accuracy” according to the company and offers suggestions on whether to buy a plane ticket now or wait it out, in which case you can set up notifications to get alerted once the price has dropped.
With data Hopper has collected, the app found that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is the best time to score travel deals (ahem, “Travel Deal Tuesday”). In fact, the company says sales this time last year more than doubled. In 2015, airfare sales went up by “6X the normal volume.”
So what are the predictions for this year? Hopper says you can expect a roundtrip to Paris starting at $566 per ticket and roundtrip to Shanghai at just $512.
“The airlines offer major discounts because travel demand tends to die down following Thanksgiving,” Hopper’s Chief Data Scientist Patrick Surry states on the company’s website. “Most travelers have already booked their holiday airfare, but haven’t started planning their winter getaways yet.”
Sales activity on Tuesday happens throughout the day but tends to start around “6:30 a.m. ET and peaks around 9:30 a.m,” which means you don’t have all day. Download Hooper and the app will keep you up-to-date with notifications each time a deal matches your selected travel destinations and dates.
Featured image by Hopper.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees