App Says “Travel Deal Tuesday” Is the Best Time to Score Airfare Deals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a time to be thankful — especially for products that make traveling easier (think better shut-eye and on-demand jet service). Lucky for us, there’s something else to add to the list: Hopper mobile app.
This nifty app predicts future flight prices “with 95% accuracy” according to the company and offers suggestions on whether to buy a plane ticket now or wait it out, in which case you can set up notifications to get alerted once the price has dropped.
With data Hopper has collected, the app found that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is the best time to score travel deals (ahem, “Travel Deal Tuesday”). In fact, the company says sales this time last year more than doubled. In 2015, airfare sales went up by “6X the normal volume.”
So what are the predictions for this year? Hopper says you can expect a roundtrip to Paris starting at $566 per ticket and roundtrip to Shanghai at just $512.
“The airlines offer major discounts because travel demand tends to die down following Thanksgiving,” Hopper’s Chief Data Scientist Patrick Surry states on the company’s website. “Most travelers have already booked their holiday airfare, but haven’t started planning their winter getaways yet.”
Sales activity on Tuesday happens throughout the day but tends to start around “6:30 a.m. ET and peaks around 9:30 a.m,” which means you don’t have all day. Download Hooper and the app will keep you up-to-date with notifications each time a deal matches your selected travel destinations and dates.
Featured image by Hopper.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.