This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a time to be thankful — especially for products that make traveling easier (think better shut-eye and on-demand jet service). Lucky for us, there’s something else to add to the list: Hopper mobile app.
This nifty app predicts future flight prices “with 95% accuracy” according to the company and offers suggestions on whether to buy a plane ticket now or wait it out, in which case you can set up notifications to get alerted once the price has dropped.
With data Hopper has collected, the app found that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is the best time to score travel deals (ahem, “Travel Deal Tuesday”). In fact, the company says sales this time last year more than doubled. In 2015, airfare sales went up by “6X the normal volume.”
So what are the predictions for this year? Hopper says you can expect a roundtrip to Paris starting at $566 per ticket and roundtrip to Shanghai at just $512.
“The airlines offer major discounts because travel demand tends to die down following Thanksgiving,” Hopper’s Chief Data Scientist Patrick Surry states on the company’s website. “Most travelers have already booked their holiday airfare, but haven’t started planning their winter getaways yet.”
Sales activity on Tuesday happens throughout the day but tends to start around “6:30 a.m. ET and peaks around 9:30 a.m,” which means you don’t have all day. Download Hooper and the app will keep you up-to-date with notifications each time a deal matches your selected travel destinations and dates.
Featured image by Hopper.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees