App Says “Travel Deal Tuesday” Is the Best Time to Score Airfare Deals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a time to be thankful — especially for products that make traveling easier (think better shut-eye and on-demand jet service). Lucky for us, there’s something else to add to the list: Hopper mobile app.
This nifty app predicts future flight prices “with 95% accuracy” according to the company and offers suggestions on whether to buy a plane ticket now or wait it out, in which case you can set up notifications to get alerted once the price has dropped.
With data Hopper has collected, the app found that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is the best time to score travel deals (ahem, “Travel Deal Tuesday”). In fact, the company says sales this time last year more than doubled. In 2015, airfare sales went up by “6X the normal volume.”
So what are the predictions for this year? Hopper says you can expect a roundtrip to Paris starting at $566 per ticket and roundtrip to Shanghai at just $512.
“The airlines offer major discounts because travel demand tends to die down following Thanksgiving,” Hopper’s Chief Data Scientist Patrick Surry states on the company’s website. “Most travelers have already booked their holiday airfare, but haven’t started planning their winter getaways yet.”
Sales activity on Tuesday happens throughout the day but tends to start around “6:30 a.m. ET and peaks around 9:30 a.m,” which means you don’t have all day. Download Hooper and the app will keep you up-to-date with notifications each time a deal matches your selected travel destinations and dates.
Featured image by Hopper.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees