This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avis just launched an interesting new offer: $9.99 base rate for a 12-hour, one-way rental between participating airports and city locations. What’s even better, the rate includes up to a full tank of gas, meaning you don’t have to find a station to fill up at before dropping the car off. You don’t even have to scrimp for an economy car as this $9.99 rate is for vehicles up to full-size.
Here’s the pricing by car type:
- Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Full-Size: $9.99
- Premium, Intermediate SUV: $14.99
- Standard SUV: $17.99
- Minivan: $19.99
This seems to be a move to make rental cars relevant again in the age of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft. In addition to providing a cheap option to get to/from the airport, this opens up the opportunity to sightsee or run errands along the way.
However, there are some limitations to keep in mind. The rate will only appear on one-way rentals between qualifying US airports and specific city locations. For example, you have to pick up or return NYC airport rentals at one of nine locations:
These pairings also mean that you can’t use this promotion to fly into a nearby city and drive to your desired destination.
Also, there are day-of-the-week limitations:
- Airport to Downtown rentals: pickup must occur on a Thursday or Friday
- Downtown to Airport rentals: pickup must occur on a Sunday or Monday
The rate only allows 150 free miles during your 12-hour rental. Although, going over will only set you back $0.10 per mile.
Be aware there are generic “offers may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods; rate surcharges during peak periods may apply” terms and conditions. And the deal “may not be combined with any AWD number, coupon, promotion or offer.” However, when I entered the AAdvantage Avis discount code, not only did I find the deal, but the prices actually dropped further to $9.49 base rate.
That means this Avis promo might also be a great way of earning up to 1,250 AAdvantage miles for a cheap rental — which is an easy way of checking an item off the list for the new AAdvantage holiday tiered promotion. Not an AAdvantage fan? Many other mileage and points programs also have Avis partnerships. However, as it’s only available one-way, this promo isn’t going to be as easy to pull off 37 rentals in two days.
This article has been updated to clarify NYC airport and city location pairings. Thanks to David for pointing out this mistake.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees