Avis Promo Offers $9.99 One-Way Rentals Between Airport and City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avis just launched an interesting new offer: $9.99 base rate for a 12-hour, one-way rental between participating airports and city locations. What’s even better, the rate includes up to a full tank of gas, meaning you don’t have to find a station to fill up at before dropping the car off. You don’t even have to scrimp for an economy car as this $9.99 rate is for vehicles up to full-size.
Here’s the pricing by car type:
- Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Full-Size: $9.99
- Premium, Intermediate SUV: $14.99
- Standard SUV: $17.99
- Minivan: $19.99
This seems to be a move to make rental cars relevant again in the age of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft. In addition to providing a cheap option to get to/from the airport, this opens up the opportunity to sightsee or run errands along the way.
However, there are some limitations to keep in mind. The rate will only appear on one-way rentals between qualifying US airports and specific city locations. For example, you have to pick up or return NYC airport rentals at one of nine locations:
These pairings also mean that you can’t use this promotion to fly into a nearby city and drive to your desired destination.
Also, there are day-of-the-week limitations:
- Airport to Downtown rentals: pickup must occur on a Thursday or Friday
- Downtown to Airport rentals: pickup must occur on a Sunday or Monday
The rate only allows 150 free miles during your 12-hour rental. Although, going over will only set you back $0.10 per mile.
Be aware there are generic “offers may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods; rate surcharges during peak periods may apply” terms and conditions. And the deal “may not be combined with any AWD number, coupon, promotion or offer.” However, when I entered the AAdvantage Avis discount code, not only did I find the deal, but the prices actually dropped further to $9.49 base rate.
That means this Avis promo might also be a great way of earning up to 1,250 AAdvantage miles for a cheap rental — which is an easy way of checking an item off the list for the new AAdvantage holiday tiered promotion. Not an AAdvantage fan? Many other mileage and points programs also have Avis partnerships. However, as it’s only available one-way, this promo isn’t going to be as easy to pull off 37 rentals in two days.
This article has been updated to clarify NYC airport and city location pairings. Thanks to David for pointing out this mistake.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees