Avis Promo Offers $9.99 One-Way Rentals Between Airport and City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avis just launched an interesting new offer: $9.99 base rate for a 12-hour, one-way rental between participating airports and city locations. What’s even better, the rate includes up to a full tank of gas, meaning you don’t have to find a station to fill up at before dropping the car off. You don’t even have to scrimp for an economy car as this $9.99 rate is for vehicles up to full-size.
Here’s the pricing by car type:
- Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Full-Size: $9.99
- Premium, Intermediate SUV: $14.99
- Standard SUV: $17.99
- Minivan: $19.99
This seems to be a move to make rental cars relevant again in the age of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft. In addition to providing a cheap option to get to/from the airport, this opens up the opportunity to sightsee or run errands along the way.
However, there are some limitations to keep in mind. The rate will only appear on one-way rentals between qualifying US airports and specific city locations. For example, you have to pick up or return NYC airport rentals at one of nine locations:
These pairings also mean that you can’t use this promotion to fly into a nearby city and drive to your desired destination.
Also, there are day-of-the-week limitations:
- Airport to Downtown rentals: pickup must occur on a Thursday or Friday
- Downtown to Airport rentals: pickup must occur on a Sunday or Monday
The rate only allows 150 free miles during your 12-hour rental. Although, going over will only set you back $0.10 per mile.
Be aware there are generic “offers may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods; rate surcharges during peak periods may apply” terms and conditions. And the deal “may not be combined with any AWD number, coupon, promotion or offer.” However, when I entered the AAdvantage Avis discount code, not only did I find the deal, but the prices actually dropped further to $9.49 base rate.
That means this Avis promo might also be a great way of earning up to 1,250 AAdvantage miles for a cheap rental — which is an easy way of checking an item off the list for the new AAdvantage holiday tiered promotion. Not an AAdvantage fan? Many other mileage and points programs also have Avis partnerships. However, as it’s only available one-way, this promo isn’t going to be as easy to pull off 37 rentals in two days.
This article has been updated to clarify NYC airport and city location pairings. Thanks to David for pointing out this mistake.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.