This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN OCTOBER 2017
Hainan Introduces New Nonstop from Chongqing and Chengdu to New York (launched October 20)
Details — Chinese carrier Hainan started flying two new routes this month, from Chongqing (CKG) and Chengdu (CTU) to New York (JFK). The new nonstop flights will operate twice weekly, departing from New York to Chongqing on Saturdays and Tuesdays and to Chengdu on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Hainan will fly its Boeing 787 on both of the routes.
Schedule (2x weekly):
- HU416 New York City (JFK) 1:50am Departure → Chongqing (CKG) 5:55am (+1) Arrival
- HU415 Chongqing (CKG) 10:00pm Departure → New York City (JFK) 11:50pm Arrival
- HU7916 New York City (JFK) 1:50am Departure → Chengdu (CTU) 5:55am (+1) Arrival
- HU7915 Chengdu (CTU) 9:55pm Departure → New York City (JFK) 11:50pm Arrival
Frontier Expands With 33 New Routes (Launched October 5, 6, 12, 13)
Details — Frontier Airlines, the low-cost carrier based in Denver, launched a whopping 33 new routes in October. The first wave of 30 came on October 5 and 6, with Long Island MacArthur (ISP), Miami (MIA) and San Antonio (SAT) being some of the focus cities where Frontier started multiple routes. Later in the month, the airline commenced three new flights from Ontario (ONT) in Southern California. Frontier will operate its narrow-body A319, A320s and A321s on the new routes.
Allegiant Air Adds Nine New Routes to Its Network (launched October 7 and 13)
Details — Allegiant Air grew its route network with the addition of nine new flights. The budget airline launched seven new routes that aren’t currently served by any other airline, with four based out of its hub at the smaller Phoenix-Mesa (AZA) airport. On October 13, Allegiant introduced Milwaukee (MKE) to its network, flying from Tampa (PIE) and Punta Gorda (PGD).
- AAY194 Phoenix (AZA) 2:10pm Departure → Kansas City (MCI) 5:35pm Arrival
- AAY195 Kansas City (MCI) 11:35am Departure → Phoenix (AZA) 1:20pm Arrival
- AAY192 Phoenix (AZA) 7:35am Departure → Louisville (SDF) 12:55pm Arrival
- AAY193 Louisville (SDF) 8:10pm Departure → Phoenix (AZA) 10:10pm Arrival
- AAY178 Phoenix (AZA) 7:25am Departure → Omaha (OMA) 10:55am Arrival
- AAY179 Omaha (OMA) 9:05pm Departure → Phoenix (AZA) 10:50pm Arrival
- AAY952 Tampa (PIE) 3:46pm Departure → Norfolk (ORF) 5:46pm Arrival
- AAY953 Norfolk (ORF) 8:24pm Departure → Tampa (PIE) 10:35pm Arrival
- AAY374 Los Angeles (LAX) 6:30am Departure→ Ogden (OGD) 9:11am Arrival
- AAY375 Ogden (OGD) 9:51am Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 10:40am Arrival
- AAY 196 Phoenix (AZA) 12:53pm Departure → Boise (BOI) 2:53 Arrival
- AAY197 Boise (BOI) 8:20pm Departure → Phoenix (AZA) 10:25pm Arrival
- AAY1590 Punta Gorda (PGD) 12:30pm Departure → Flint (FNT) 3:15pm Arrival
- AAY1591 Flint (FNT) 4:05pm Departure → Punta Gorda (PGD) 6:42pm Arrival
- AAY955 Milwaukee (MKE) 10:55am Departure → Tampa (PIE) 2:55pm Arrival
- AAY954 Tampa (PIE) 10:20am Departure → Milwaukee (MKE) 12:20am Arrival
- AAY1593 Milwaukee (MKE) 5:03pm Departure → Punta Gorda (PGD) 9:08pm Arrival
- AAY1592 Punta Gorda (PGD) 2:13pm Departure → Milwaukee (MKE) 4:18pm Arrival
United Initiates Nonstop Flights From Newark to Buenos Aires (October 28)
Details — United added a new connection from the Northeastern US to South America, with the introduction of nonstop service from Newark (EWR) to Buenos Aires (EZE). The carrier will fly a 767-300 with 30 business-class seats, 49 Economy Plus seats and 135 economy seats.
- UA979 Newark (EWR) 9:50pm Departure → Buenos Aires (EZE) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- UA978 Buenos Aires (EZE) 9:00pm Departure → Newark (EWR) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN OCTOBER 2017
Iberia Adding Seasonal Flights From San Francisco to Madrid in 2018
Details — Spain’s flagship airline and Oneworld alliance member Iberia will introduce a new San Francisco (SFO) to Madrid (MAD) flight on April 25, 2018. This will be the only nonstop flight between the two cities, with Iberia operating an A330 on the seasonal route which ends on September 28, 2018.
Schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday):
- IB6175 Madrid (MAD) 12:25pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 4:00pm Arrival
- IB6174 San Francisco (SFO) 6:00pm Departure → Madrid (MAD) 2:15pm (+1) Arrival
Aer Lingus Announces Philadelphia to Dublin Flight
Details — Starting March 26, 2018, Aer Lingus will fly between Philadelphia (PHL) and Dublin (DUB). This new flight competes with American’s daily service. The Irish carrier will fly a 757 on the ~7-hour journey, and that aircraft received a solid review from TPG staff. This route is a great use of British Airways Avios, and will cost you 20,000 miles one-way in economy or 60,000 miles in biz.
Schedule (4x weekly):
- EI115 Dublin (DUB) 1:50pm Departure → Philadelphia (PHL) 4:15pm Arrival
- EI114 Philadelphia (PHL) 5:30pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 5:10AM (+1) Arrival
Budget Airline Scoot Announces Connection Between Singapore and Honolulu
Details — Scoot, the ultra-low cost carrier based in Singapore announced its first flight to the US will start on December 19, 2017. The airline will fly between Singapore (SIN) and Honolulu (HNL) with a stop in Osaka (KIX). Passengers can book each leg individually too, and the flight will be on a 787-8 Dreamliner.
Schedule (Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday):
- TR700 Singapore (SIN) 10:45am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 5:30pm Arrival
- TR700 Osaka (KIX) 7:25pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 7:30am Arrival
- TR701 Honolulu (HNL) 9:35am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 2:00pm (+1) Arrival
- TR701 Osaka (KIX) 3:10PM Departure → Singapore (SIN) 9:10pm Arrival
Air France Restarts Service From Seattle to Paris
Details —SkyTeam member Air France will restart Seattle (SEA) to Paris (CDG) service five years after allowing its joint venture partner Delta to take over the route. Starting March 25, 2018, the airline will fly a Boeing 777-200ER with 40 business-class seats, 24 premium economy seats and 216 economy seats between the two cities. Initially Air France will fly on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays and then will add in Tuesday and Thursday flights during peak summertime. Delta will still operate its daily nonstop.
Schedule (3x → 5x weekly):
- AF338 Paris (CDG) 1:10pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 2:20pm Arrival
- AF355 Seattle (SEA) 4:30pm Departure → Paris (CDG) 11:10am (+1) Arrival
Air China to Add Nonstop From Los Angeles to Shenzhen
Details — Air China announced this month that it will begin flying its 787-9s between Los Angeles (LAX) and Shenzhen (SZX) starting December 7, 2017. This will be the only nonstop flight between the two cities and will last nearly 15 hours in the LA to Shenzen direction. Air China is part of the Star Alliance, meaning you can book awards through Chase Ultimate Reward transfer partners like United or Singapore.
Schedule (Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays):
- CA769 Shenzhen (SZX) 11:30pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 8:00pm Arrival
- CA770 Los Angeles (LAX) 10:50pm Departure → Shenzhen (SZN) 5:40AM (+2) Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Additional reporting by Jeffrey Preis. Featured image of Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina courtesy of Saiko3p/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards