This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in June, we told you about a limited-time 50,000-mile bonus on the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. Well, an increased offer is back and better than ever. Effective Tuesday morning, the AAdvantage Aviator Red card is offering 60,000 bonus miles after you make a purchase within the first 90 days of card opening and pay the card’s $95 annual fee.
This card turns a lot of heads with its spending requirement for earning the sign-up bonus. Unlike the $7,500 spending requirement for the valuable 75,000-point Citi Prestige Card bonus, this card requires just one purchase to earn the bonus — and there’s no minimum amount to the purchase.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those 60,000 AAdvantage miles are worth $840. But, there are ways of getting so much more value out of these miles. First, this is enough for a one-way business-class flight to Europe. And, if you book on American Airlines — which has opened up some AAward AAvailability to Europe recently — it’ll cost you just $5.60 out of pocket. If you don’t want to mess with AA availability, you can get a ton of value out of 60,000 through AA’s partners. In fact, we have a whole article showing you how.
Ongoing Card Benefits
With the Aviator Red card, you’ll earn 2x miles on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases. You and up to four companions will get your first checked bag for free when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines. In addition, you’ll get preferred boarding when flying American Airlines domestically, 25% in-flight savings on food and beverages, you’ll earn 10% of your redeemed miles back and there are no foreign transaction fees. Plus, you’ll earn $3,000 elite-qualifying dollars (EQDs) when you spend $25,000 in a calendar year.
Perhaps best of all, this is one of the cards that can help you defeat basic economy. Thanks to the preferred boarding and checked bag privileges, you’ll be able to carry on and check a bag even if you’re flying on a basic economy ticket.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees