Alaska Airlines Offering 5,000 Bonus Miles to New Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the last truly valuable airline frequent flyer programs is Alaska Airlines’ Mileage Plan. Unlike most other airlines, which have switched to revenue-based earning systems, Alaska’s Mileage Plan lets you earn miles based on how far you fly, not how much you spend on the ticket. The program has a reasonable distance-based redemption chart for flights on Alaska and some incredibly valuable partners. To top it all off, Alaska Airlines itself is one of the best overall operations in the country, having taken first place in The Points Guy’s Best and Worst Airlines report this year.
So if you’re not already a member of Mileage Plan, you should be. Fortunately, now’s a terrific time to join because for a limited time Alaska is offering 5,000 bonus miles for new members who sign up by July 31 and take an Alaska or Virgin America flight by September 30, 2017.
To earn the bonus miles, there are a few steps you’ll need to follow. First, sign up for the Mileage Plan program by the July 31 deadline. While the terms and conditions don’t specifically state that you need to sign up before booking your ticket, it probably doesn’t hurt to do so (though if you’ve already booked an Alaska or Virgin America ticket, you should still be eligible for the bonus miles if you sign up for Mileage Plan before you fly).
Fly on an Alaska Airlines or Virgin America flight between your enrollment date and September 30, 2017, and make sure it’s a flight actually on an Alaska or Virgin America plane because codeshares do not count for this promotion. The flight doesn’t need to be a round-trip — one way flights should count. Finally, credit the flight to your new Mileage Plan account by adding your Mileage Plan number to your reservation.
It’s rare to see a program offer so many bonus miles for new members, and in this case, the miles are particularly valuable. TPG values Mileage Plan miles at 1.9 cents each, so these 5,000 bonus miles are worth $95. That’s a fantastic sign-up offer for a free mileage program with only one flight required to earn the bonus.
For those of us who are already Mileage Plan members, unfortunately we’re not eligible for this promotion — only new members can get the bonus miles and multiple separate Mileage Plan accounts won’t count. But Alaska has been making a real effort to keep its flyers happy, so we won’t be surprised if we see more great offers like this from Alaska going forward.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees