Alaska Airlines Offering 5,000 Bonus Miles to New Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the last truly valuable airline frequent flyer programs is Alaska Airlines’ Mileage Plan. Unlike most other airlines, which have switched to revenue-based earning systems, Alaska’s Mileage Plan lets you earn miles based on how far you fly, not how much you spend on the ticket. The program has a reasonable distance-based redemption chart for flights on Alaska and some incredibly valuable partners. To top it all off, Alaska Airlines itself is one of the best overall operations in the country, having taken first place in The Points Guy’s Best and Worst Airlines report this year.
So if you’re not already a member of Mileage Plan, you should be. Fortunately, now’s a terrific time to join because for a limited time Alaska is offering 5,000 bonus miles for new members who sign up by July 31 and take an Alaska or Virgin America flight by September 30, 2017.
To earn the bonus miles, there are a few steps you’ll need to follow. First, sign up for the Mileage Plan program by the July 31 deadline. While the terms and conditions don’t specifically state that you need to sign up before booking your ticket, it probably doesn’t hurt to do so (though if you’ve already booked an Alaska or Virgin America ticket, you should still be eligible for the bonus miles if you sign up for Mileage Plan before you fly).
Fly on an Alaska Airlines or Virgin America flight between your enrollment date and September 30, 2017, and make sure it’s a flight actually on an Alaska or Virgin America plane because codeshares do not count for this promotion. The flight doesn’t need to be a round-trip — one way flights should count. Finally, credit the flight to your new Mileage Plan account by adding your Mileage Plan number to your reservation.
It’s rare to see a program offer so many bonus miles for new members, and in this case, the miles are particularly valuable. TPG values Mileage Plan miles at 1.9 cents each, so these 5,000 bonus miles are worth $95. That’s a fantastic sign-up offer for a free mileage program with only one flight required to earn the bonus.
For those of us who are already Mileage Plan members, unfortunately we’re not eligible for this promotion — only new members can get the bonus miles and multiple separate Mileage Plan accounts won’t count. But Alaska has been making a real effort to keep its flyers happy, so we won’t be surprised if we see more great offers like this from Alaska going forward.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.