This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After traveling for a year in South America, Rebecca and Doug Greenshields, who originally hail from New Zealand and Australia, were not ready to return to their normal nine-to-fives. Instead, the adventurous pair, who had previously worked as a statistician (Rebecca) and a farmer (Doug) decided to open an eco-friendly hotel in Ecuador.
The couple knew there was a lack of affordable eco-friendly accommodations in Ecuador so they decided to enter the market. After buying the hotel, named La Casa Verde, for $80,000, they put a few thousand dollars more into the hotel in order to complete it.
The 11-room lodge was officially opened in 2009 and was eventually deemed the third most romantic hotel in Ecuador on Tripadvisor. The couple, who have successfully run the lodge for the past eight years, have decided to move back to Australia to be closer to their family. Instead of selling the property, the family is auctioning off their small paradise for just $29 per raffle ticket. The family has decided on the unconventional way of passing on their property so that someone who may not otherwise have had this opportunity could get the chance to experience life abroad.
On top of winning the hotel, the lucky raffle victors will also take home $10,000. The draw will take place on May 31 at 9pm GMT (5pm EST) and raffle tickets can be purchased at this website. If you happen to enter and win, just remember who gave you this tip (because a TPG team retreat to Ecuador sounds pretty great). Good luck!
Featured image courtesy of La Casa Verde.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees