This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After traveling for a year in South America, Rebecca and Doug Greenshields, who originally hail from New Zealand and Australia, were not ready to return to their normal nine-to-fives. Instead, the adventurous pair, who had previously worked as a statistician (Rebecca) and a farmer (Doug) decided to open an eco-friendly hotel in Ecuador.
The couple knew there was a lack of affordable eco-friendly accommodations in Ecuador so they decided to enter the market. After buying the hotel, named La Casa Verde, for $80,000, they put a few thousand dollars more into the hotel in order to complete it.
The 11-room lodge was officially opened in 2009 and was eventually deemed the third most romantic hotel in Ecuador on Tripadvisor. The couple, who have successfully run the lodge for the past eight years, have decided to move back to Australia to be closer to their family. Instead of selling the property, the family is auctioning off their small paradise for just $29 per raffle ticket. The family has decided on the unconventional way of passing on their property so that someone who may not otherwise have had this opportunity could get the chance to experience life abroad.
On top of winning the hotel, the lucky raffle victors will also take home $10,000. The draw will take place on May 31 at 9pm GMT (5pm EST) and raffle tickets can be purchased at this website. If you happen to enter and win, just remember who gave you this tip (because a TPG team retreat to Ecuador sounds pretty great). Good luck!
Featured image courtesy of La Casa Verde.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards