Exciting New Airline Routes for May 2017 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN MAY 2017
American Airlines Adds Routes to Europe from Dallas (DFW) and Chicago (ORD) (launched May 5)
Details — The world’s largest airline added new seasonal daily service from Dallas (DFW) to Rome, Italy (FCO) and Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS), and between Chicago (ORD) and Barcelona, Spain (BCN) on May 5. The routes supplement year-round nonstops to the trio of European cities from other AA hubs and will run through September 30.
- AA240 Dallas (DFW) 1:40pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 7:15am (+1) Arrival
- AA239 Rome (FCO) 9:15am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 2:20pm Arrival
- AA220 Dallas (DFW) 3:25pm Departure ⇒ Amsterdam (AMS) 8:15am (+1) Arrival
- AA221 Amsterdam (AMS) 10:20am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 2:10pm Arrival
- AA40 Chicago (ORD) 10:10pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 1:40pm (+1) Arrival
- AA41 Barcelona (BCN) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 6:35pm Arrival
United Starts Seasonal Service From San Francisco (SFO) to Munich (MUC) (launched May 24)
Details — On May 24, United Airlines launched daily service from its hub in San Francisco (SFO) to Munich, Germany (MUC) using a 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft. The summer service from the West Coast will run through September 3 and adds to the carrier’s already existing nonstop service to Munich from its hubs in Chicago (ORD), Newark (EWR), Washington, D.C. (IAD) and Houston (IAH).
Schedule (4x per week)
- UAL194 San Francisco (SFO) 2:05pm Departure ⇒ Munich (MUC) 10:25am (+1) Arrival
- UAL195 Munich (MUC) 12:10pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 2:50pm Arrival
Condor Begins Service Between Germany and Two US Cities (launched May 3)
Details — The German-based leisure airline Condor launched flights to two new cities in the US on May 3 with service between New Orleans (MSY) and Frankfurt (FRA) and a second set of flights from Las Vegas (LAS) to Munich (MUC). The airline, which recently began partnering with Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, will be the only one operating on the two routes and will utilize its 767-300 aircraft for its twice-weekly service.
Schedule (2x weekly):
- DE2067 New Orleans (MSY) 8:00pm Departure ⇒ Frankfurt (FRA) 12:45pm (+1) Arrival
- DE2066 Frankfurt (FRA) 2:05pm Departure ⇒ New Orleans (MSY) 6:10pm Arrival
- DE2071 Las Vegas (LAS) 10:25pm Departure ⇒ Munich (MUC) 6:55pm (+1) Arrival
- DE2070 Munich (MUC) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Las Vegas (LAS) 7:45pm Arrival
- DE2071 Las Vegas (LAS) 2:15pm Departure ⇒ Munich (MUC) 10:45am (+1) Arrival
- DE2070 Munich (MUC) 9:15am Departure ⇒ Las Vegas (LAS) 12:25pm Arrival
- DE2067 New Orleans (MSY) 11:45pm Departure ⇒ Frankfurt (FRA) 4:30pm (+1) Arrival
- DE2066 Frankfurt (FRA) 5:30pm Departure ⇒ New Orleans (MSY) 9:35pm Arrival
Air Canada Expands With Six New Routes Between the US and Canada (launched May 1, May 18 and May 26)
Details — More nonstop flights were launched to the US from our neighbor to the north by Air Canada, as new routes between Toronto (YYZ) and Memphis (MEM), San Antonio (SAT) and Savannah (SAV) began on May 1 along with flights from Vancouver (YVR) and Phoenix (PHX). The carrier also began flying nonstop between Vancouver and Denver (DEN) twice a day on May 18 and daily from Dallas (DFW) to Montreal (YUL) on May 26.
- AC7272 Memphis (MEM) 3:55pm Departure ⇒ Toronto (YYZ) 7:03pm Arrival
- AC7271 Toronto (YYZ) 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Memphis (MEM) 3:22pm Arrival
- AC7722 San Antonio (SAT) 4:00pm Departure ⇒ Toronto (YYZ) 8:19pm Arrival
- AC7721 Toronto (YYZ) 12:50pm Departure ⇒ San Antonio (SAT) 3:23pm Arrival
- AC7210 Savannah (SAV) 3:20pm Departure ⇒ Toronto (YYZ) 5:34pm Arrival
- AC7209 Toronto (YYZ) 12:35pm Departure ⇒ Savannah (SAV) 2:50pm Arrival
- AC8229 Phoenix (PHX) 10:40am Departure ⇒ Vancouver (YVR) 1:55pm Arrival
- AC8228 Vancouver (YVR) 8:00am Departure ⇒ Phoenix (PHX) 11:00am Arrival
- AC8109 Denver (DEN) 7:55am Departure ⇒ Vancouver (YVR) 10:00am Arrival
- AC8108 Vancouver (YVR) 10:30am Departure ⇒ Denver (DEN) 2:20pm Arrival
- AC8111 Denver (DEN) 2:55pm Departure ⇒ Vancouver (YVR) 5:00pm Arrival
- AC8110 Vancouver (YVR) 2:40pm Departure ⇒ Denver (DEN) 6:30pm Arrival
- AC7728 Dallas (DFW) 11:50am Departure ⇒ Montreal (YUL) 4:35pm Arrival
- AC7727 Montreal (YUL) 8:10am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 11:15am Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Manchester (MAN) on Thomas Cook Airlines (launched May 14)
Details — Manchester remains the only airport in England outside of London to feature nonstop service to San Francisco (SFO) as Thomas Cook Airlines started flying the direct route twice a week on May 14, competing with Virgin Atlantic. The airline will utilize A330-200 aircraft on the route and is the largest long-haul carrier in Manchester with 26.5 million annual passengers.
Schedule (2x weekly):
- MT2865 San Francisco (SFO) 4:50pm Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 11:00am (+1) Arrival
- MT2864 Manchester (MAN) 11:55am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 2:50pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN MAY 2017
Alaska Airlines Receives Approval for Mexico City Routes
Details — Alaska Airlines continues its West Coast expansion, receiving approval from the US Department of Transportation for new flights to Mexico City (MEX) from three key California cities. The routes to the capital of Mexico will begin on August 8 with daily nonstops using Boeing 737 aircraft from Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and then expand on November 6 with E175 planes on a daily flight from San Diego (SAN) and a second daily frequency from LAX.
- AS236 Los Angeles (LAX) 8:18am Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 1:55pm Arrival
- AS237 Mexico City (MEX) 5:25pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 7:25pm Arrival
- AS3302 Los Angeles (LAX) 12:25pm Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 6:15pm Arrival
- AS3403 Mexico City (MEX) 1:35pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 3:54pm Arrival
- AS240 San Francisco (SFO) 9:55am Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 4:20pm Arrival
- AS241 Mexico City (MEX) 3:15pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 5:45pm Arrival
- AS3314 San Diego (SAN) 7:05am Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 12:50pm Arrival
- AS3405 Mexico City (MEX) 7:25pm Departure ⇒ San Diego (SAN) 9:37pm Arrival
United To Add Service From New York Area to Buenos Aires
Details — United is adding a 14th South American destination to its roster on October 28 with a new route between New York/Newark (EWR) and Buenos Aires (EZE). A Boeing 767-300 will fly daily in each direction, complementing United’s existing service from its Houston (IAH) hub to Argentina’s capital city.
- UA979 Newark (EWR) 9:50pm Departure ⇒ Buenos Aires (EZE) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- UA978 Buenos Aires (EZE) 8:00pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
Southwest Adds Cincinnati and Grand Cayman Amongst Dozens of New Routes
Details — The summer months will bring a multitude of new Southwest routes, including its first-ever service to Cincinnati (CVG) and Grand Cayman (GCM). Then, the carrier will launch two new routes from Milwaukee (MKE) to both Nashville (BNA) and Cleveland (CLE) on November 4, with each city receiving service twice a day. As always, all Southwest routes will be operated by Boeing 737 aircraft.
Delta Expanding Service Between New York and Brazil
Details — A new Delta route will launch on December 21 with daily service between New York (JFK) and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG). A Boeing 767-400 with 40 Delta One lie-flat seats and 28 Comfort+ seats will be used between the two cities.
- DL479 New York (JFK) 9:22pm Departure ⇒ Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 10:25am (+1) Arrival
- DL478 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 10:10pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 5:28am (+1) Arrival
SAS Plans Nonstop Flight Between Miami (MIA) and Stockholm (ARN)
Details — Adding to its complement of nonstop flights from Scandinavia to the US, SAS will begin operating a once-weekly flight between Stockholm (ARN) and Miami (MIA) on October 29, joining already existing routes operated by the airline from Oslo (OSL) and Copenhagen (CPH) to the South Florida city. The carrier, which currently flies to Stockholm from New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX), will employ an Airbus A330 on the new route.
Schedule (1x weekly on Sundays):
- SK958 Miami (MIA) 4:05pm Departure ⇒ Stockholm (ARN) 7:35am (+1) Arrival
- SK957 Stockholm (ARN) 9:25am Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 2:15pm Arrival
El Al to Resume Miami (MIA) Flight to Tel Aviv (TLV)
Details — El Al is planning to return to the Miami (MIA) – Tel Aviv (TLV) route after an absence of over nine years, on November 1. The Israeli carrier will use a Boeing 777-200ER for the thrice-weekly flights.
Schedule (3x weekly):
- LY17 Tel Aviv (TLV) 1:00am Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 8:05am Arrival
Mondays and Wednesdays:
- LY18 Miami (MIA) 12:00pm Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv (TLV) 6:45am (+1) Arrival
- LY18 Miami (MIA) 10:45pm Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv (TLV) 5:30pm (+1) Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Amsterdam courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.