Icelandair First to Offer Speedy New Transatlantic Wi-Fi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandair announced today that it will be the first airline to provide high-speed internet on transatlantic flights when it installs the new service on board 16 of its upcoming Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. The service will be provided by ViaSat, which already provides in-flight Wi-Fi to several other carriers. The ViaSat-2 satellite is set to launch on June 1, 2017, and installation of the upgraded internet systems on Icelandair planes will begin in 2018 and will continue through 2020.
The provider’s new satellite has the capability of offering internet speeds at significantly faster rates than previous iterations. According to ViaSat’s site, “ViaSat-2 is designed to double the bandwidth economics advantage of ViaSat-1, double the throughput, and provide seven times the coverage.” For now, the faster Wi-Fi will only be available on Icelandair flights that fly over North America and the Atlantic Ocean. If you’re continuing onward from Reykjavik (KEF), you’ll be connected to a slower European KA-SAT network.
Featured image courtesy of Icelandair.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees