Icelandair First to Offer Speedy New Transatlantic Wi-Fi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandair announced today that it will be the first airline to provide high-speed internet on transatlantic flights when it installs the new service on board 16 of its upcoming Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. The service will be provided by ViaSat, which already provides in-flight Wi-Fi to several other carriers. The ViaSat-2 satellite is set to launch on June 1, 2017, and installation of the upgraded internet systems on Icelandair planes will begin in 2018 and will continue through 2020.
The provider’s new satellite has the capability of offering internet speeds at significantly faster rates than previous iterations. According to ViaSat’s site, “ViaSat-2 is designed to double the bandwidth economics advantage of ViaSat-1, double the throughput, and provide seven times the coverage.” For now, the faster Wi-Fi will only be available on Icelandair flights that fly over North America and the Atlantic Ocean. If you’re continuing onward from Reykjavik (KEF), you’ll be connected to a slower European KA-SAT network.
Featured image courtesy of Icelandair.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.