This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express
Through May 31, you can sign up for the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express, which comes with a record-high sign-up bonus of 100,000 Honors points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 12x points on Hilton purchases, 6x points on US restaurants, supermarkets and gas stations and 3x points on everything else. But the earning doesn’t have to end there. If you’re a cardholder, you can refer a friend to sign up for the card, and if they’re approved, you’ll get an additional 25,000 points.
If you have the Surpass Card, you should be able to log in to your American Express account from this link and see the option to refer a friend. From there, you’ll just enter the friend’s information, they’ll receive an email with the details and if their application is successful, you’ll get the 25,000 bonus points.
Note that there’s a maximum of 80,000 bonus points from referrals each year, meaning you can refer three friends who are successfully approved for 25,000 points each, and for the fourth successful referral you’ll get 5,000 points. So, with the sign-up bonus and the referral bonus, you can earn a maximum of 180,000 points — worth $1,080 based on TPG’s most recent valuations. And that’s not including any points you get for spend.
For a card with an annual fee of just $75, this offer represents a pretty great value. In addition to all of the point earning, you’ll also get complimentary Gold status (worth $980 for 2017 according to our analysis) as long as you’re a cardholder with the opportunity to upgrade to Diamond status (worth $2,030 in 2017) if you spend $40,000 on the card in a calendar year. Finally, after your first anniversary of being a cardholder, you’ll earn a free weekend night award. Keep in mind that if you want to take advantage of this record-high sign-up bonus and the chance to earn up to 80,000 points in referrals, you’ll need to do so by May 31.
Featured image courtesy of the DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees