Inside NCL’s Norwegian Bliss and Its Enormous Indoor Observation Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has just unveiled Norwegian Bliss, its 16th ship, which weighs in at 167,800 tons and allows for more than 4,000 guests per voyage. While many cruisers may use their days at sea to catch up on sleep or explore the theaters, restaurants, lounges and other unique amenities their ship has to offer, Norwegian Bliss was designed with sightseeing in mind which, according to NCL, could mean anything from “bald eagles soaring over glaciers to dolphins splashing through warm turquoise waters.”
The maiden voyage is set for April 2018, when the new ship will spend the summer departing from Seattle and making its way around Alaska, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria (British Columbia) over the course of the seven-day journey. Prices start at $899 per person (based on double occupancy) and trips can already be booked through the NCL website.
From there, Norwegian Bliss will make its way south to its seasonal homeport of Miami, where a Caribbean itinerary will include stops in St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands), Tortola (British Virgin Islands) and Nassau (Bahamas). Seven-day cruises to the Mexican Riviera — with stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán and Cabo San Lucas — and a 14-day journey from Los Angeles to the Panama Canal are also on the calendar.
In addition to its eclectic lineup of destinations, the ship is full of unique features and amenities, including the world’s most expansive observation deck. All passengers will have access to the 20,000 square-foot Observation Lounge — pictured below and located at the front of the ship — which offers 180-degree views that are meant to be enjoyed from the comfort of a lounge setting, complete with plush seating and a 360-degree bar.
Passengers staying in The Haven, NCL’s VIP staterooms, will have their own two-story Haven Observation Lounge, where the views are just as amazing but the setting is much more intimate.
A range of custom accommodations are available to suit every kind of traveler — from solo staterooms for those traveling on their own and connecting rooms that allow for a family experience to spa suites.
At the top of the ship, The Haven by Norwegian offers the ultimate in luxury, with 80 over-the-top suites, plus exclusive access to private restaurants, lounges, a courtyard area, two whirlpools, a sauna, spa treatment rooms and a sunbathing deck. Plus, all Haven guests will receive VIP embarkation and disembarkation privileges, priority access to reservations, reserved seating in the ship’s theater — plus butler and private concierge services.
Even the ship’s exterior is a thing of beauty: Wyland — one of the world’s most famous marine life artists, whose murals will probably look familiar to you — has been commissioned to create the artwork for the ship’s hull. Check out the video below for another look at what’s ahead on Norwegian Bliss:
Featured image courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.