This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Low cost carriers like Norwegian and WOW Air have been busy offering insanely cheap fares to Europe on a seemingly constant basis. However, today we’re seeing similarly low fares, but on full-service carriers Air Canada and United. Fly round-trip from Los Angeles (LAX) on Air Canada from just $388 round-trip with one stop in each direction, or nonstop on United’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner for just a few dollars more. If you’re based on the East Coast, you can fly nonstop and round-trip from just $407 from United’s hub in Newark (EWR). The best part about these fares is that they’re valid all the way through August 2017, which is peak travel time for tourists to flock to Europe — and typically the most expensive time to fly there.
Airlines: Air Canada, United and other Star Alliance carriers
Route: EWR and LAX to London (LGW and LHR)
Cost: $388+ round-trip in economy
Dates: May – August 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LGW) for $388 round-trip on Air Canada:
Newark (EWR) to London (LHR) for $407 round-trip on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for $416 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of London courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.