This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Instagram has quickly become many travelers’ go-to app for sharing photos from their adventures. In fact, it’s become so popular that it’s sparked the great debate: When does sharing your vacation photos become too much? No matter where you stand on that issue, there’s no doubt that Instagram has completely changed how we share our travel experiences.
Now that the app has more than 500 million monthly users and hosts more than 95 million photo or video posts per day, it’s no shock that the company has been keeping track of its users’ data. In its recent report of its most popular users (Selena Gomez; 103 million followers), most-used emoji (the red heart), most Instagrammed day of the year (October 31, 2016) and more, the company also shared its most popular cities, locations and hotels for the year.
The Most Geotagged Cities of 2016
3. Moscow, Russia
4. São Paulo, Brazil
7. Saint Petersburg, Russia
9. Istanbul, Turkey
10. Jakarta, Indonesia
Most Instagrammed Locations of 2016
3. Central Park (NYC)
4. Times Square (NYC)
5. Eiffel Tower (Paris)
6. Louvre Museum (Paris)
7. Las Vegas Strip (Las Vegas)
8. Santa Monica Pier (LA)
9. Brooklyn Bridge (NYC)
10. VDNKh (Moscow)
World’s Most Instagrammed Hotels
1. MGM Grand Las Vegas
4. Atlantic The Palm, Dubai
6. Paris Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
7. Fontainebleau Miami Beach
9. Ushuaïa Ibiza Beach Hotel
10. The Venetian Macao, Macau
As 2016 draws to a close, now’s a great time to reflect on your travels from the year. Scrolling through your Instagram page can bring back some great memories, especially if you’ve been to one of the places on these lists. If you don’t already, keep up with The Points Guy by following him on Instagram!
Are any of your destinations from this year on the most popular Instagram cities, locations or hotels for 2016?
Featured image courtesy of Harri Jarvelainen via Getty Images.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.