This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, British Airways announced its fall promo: triple Avios for transatlantic flights through December 11. Today, American Airlines countered with its own promotion. Now through December 11, 2016, you can earn up to 30,000 bonus AAdvantage miles when you fly between North America and Europe on American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia or OpenSkies.
Flights must be booked using mileage-accruing fares (no, you can’t earn a bonus on an award flight) and credited to the AAdvantage program to qualify.
|Round-Trips||First-Class Fares||Business-Class Fares||Premium Economy and
Full Economy-Class Fares
|Select Discount Economy-Class Fares|
To sign up for the promotion, go to aa.com/offers and enter the code NAF16. Or, you can click this link and log in to register. With this promotion, you’ll earn a bonus on your first two round-trip transatlantic flights after registering. So, if you have many flights to Europe coming up in the next three months, you’ll want to plan when you register for the promotion.
Note that the promotion says “select discount economy class fares.” We dug into the details to find that all mileage-earning economy fares are listed in the Terms and Conditions, except American Airlines fare class B and Iberia fare class W and Z.
For those wondering, you’ll receive half of the bonus for each transatlantic flight. That means if you’re flying from the US to Europe on December 9 and returning on December 18, you’ll earn half of the round-trip bonus.
Compared to recent American Airlines European flight promotions, this one is rather disappointing. American Airlines offered 25,000 miles for business or first class fares over the summer. Around this time last year, AA offered a whopping 125,000 potential bonus miles for flights to Europe.
Bonus miles are always nice to get, but this promotion pales in comparison to recent AA European promotions. This offer probably isn’t worth planning vacations around.
If you have flights to Europe lined up this fall, make sure to register for this promotion. But, even if you don’t currently have flights booked to Europe, it doesn’t hurt to take two minutes to register for this promo. You never know when an amazing deal might pop up.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.